Q. My daughter has scabies, which did not subside with medication. Please help.

Dr. Preeti Puranik

My daughter is 20 months old and weighs 15 kg. She is a very active child. She was suffering from severe itching and rashes. The doctor diagnosed her with scabies. He prescribed HH mite cream for three days, and Atarax syrup 2.5 ml thrice a day. On the rash, he asked us to apply Flutivate cream at night time. It has been 15 days since the treatment was started. The itching and rashes have gone down, but she is still itching once in a while. Now, she started itching her motion area too. Can you please tell me if there are further tests to be done, or medicines to be changed?

Do you have a question on Scabies or Itching?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Preeti Puranik

MBBS., M.D PEDIATRICS
Paediatrics

Please continue the Atarax syrup (Hydroxyzine) only if there is itching.

You can repeat HH mite cream (Permethrin) if itching is significant. It has to be applied to the whole body below the neck. Avoid the head, face, neck, anal and vaginal areas. Also, avoid regions where the skin is scratched. Over the scratched regions, you can apply Flutivate (Topical Fluticasone).

Clip the nails of the baby, before the application, as the eggs of the scabies mites are generally present in the nails, which might cause a reinfection. Apply at night, and wash properly the next morning.

All the family members should undergo the same treatment, even if they do not have symptoms.

All the bed sheets and pillow covers and clothes of the family members should be washed separately. Fresh bedsheets or pillow covers should be used the next morning.

I suggest you use HH mite soap (Permethrin topical), till complete recovery after this application. Itching may continue even for a week or two after HH mite application.

So, if you have already followed the above procedure during your previous application, you can just use soap for now and wait for recovery. If you have not followed the above procedure, you can repeat the application of cream.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

How to treat itching present all over my body?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 22 year old male and weighing 64 kg. My main problem is I have itching all over my body, but there is no rash. Please help.  Read Full »
Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for choosing this platform. It is very difficult to treat patients with itching all over body. The duration of itching, your occupation, family history, etc., is not clear. Observe for any aggravating or relieving factors, like diet, day or night, tempera...  Read Full »

Are the medicines given to me for scabies correct?
Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with scabies, and now I am worried my family also has it. The doctor has prescribed Permethrin cream 5%, Ketoconazole cream, Flutas 150 mg, and Levocetirizine. Are these tablets fine or should I add anything more? What should I do with the furniture and mobile phones? I h...  Read Full »
Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Permethrin is fine, but Fluconazole and Ketoconazole have no role in scabies. Permethrin has to be applied two times, one week apart and every member of the family should apply it at the same time.Leave the furniture and mobile as it is, as transmission rarely occurs thro...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now