Q. I have itchy red spots on my penis head. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Deepti Shukla
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 20, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 30, 2020

I am having red spots on my penis head. Sometimes it is very itchy. I do not have any pain or any other difficulties because of this. Should I be concerned?

#

Do not worry; I will help you with your concern.

Such itchy rash can be due to candidal balanitis or scabies. Candidal balanitis is a type of fungal infection of the genitals. It presents with itchy red spots or rashes and sometimes discharges from the penis. Scabies is a kind parasitic infection in which itching occurs in the whole body or may only happen in the genitals. As treatment for these conditions are entirely different, I need to ask you a few questions to provide you a definitive diagnosis.

• Do you notice the worsening of itching at night?
  • Do you see any discharge from the penis?

If you could, please share a photo that would help make a definitive diagnosis to suggest your treatment accordingly.

Thanks and regards.

Thanks for your reply.

Sometimes I feel itchy at night, and also I can see some white color discharge around the head.

#

I saw the photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity); it is candidal balanitis. It is a fungal infection. Do not worry, it will resolve with the treatment.

• Tablet Fluconazole 150 mg one tablet after dinner for one day.
  • Clotrimazole cream - apply daily at night for three weeks.

Do not worry; it is a minor infection.

Thanks and regards.

|