Q. I am hearing voice in my head. Why?

Dr. Parth N. Nagda
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 15, 2021

I cannot tell whether I am willing to have voices in my head. I do not know whether my imagination is making up things or whether I am feeling actually on that way. I am unable to tell how I react or feel. For example, if I look at myself in a mirror, I hear a voice saying that I am ugly and I suffer from this issue. I do not know whether it is just me being dramatic. Even while writing this, I heard a voice. I am struggling with a minor eating disorder for the past two years and when I tried to tell someone about it, I got scared because my mind told me that this is not a big issue. I do not know whether my thoughts get jumbled around and I cannot tell what is making up and what is real.

#

If you know that your voice remains imaginary, then it can be a part of anxiety spectrum disorder. If you believe that your voice is real or actual, then it can be an early sign of schizophrenia or depression with some psychotic features. Kindly consult a psychiatrist soon. He can give you medications that help to resolve your issue. Basically, it happens due to reduced levels of certain neurotransmitters. This results in reducing your stress handling capacity of the brain. Taking medications helps to restore this balance.

|