Q. My partner has schizophrenia with imaginary conversations and thinking. Please help.

Dr. Parth N. Nagda
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 23, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 31, 2020

My partner is schizophrenic. She is not medicated because she does not have health insurance. For the past five days, she has been talking to herself thinking she is having a conversation with others. For the last two days, she has been having episodes thinking that the imaginary people are putting snakes inside of her. I have taken her to emergency room 11 times but she leaves shortly after arriving because she is being told by the voices that she is not at a real hospital. I am worried that she might hurt herself not purposely but by accident since she truly believes the voices are putting snakes inside of her. I do not know what to do please let me know what to do?

#

Yes, those are symptoms of schizophrenia. It happens due to a chemical imbalance of certain neurotransmitters in the brain. Levels of dopamine are usually increased and medicines will help reduce the level and get it back to normal and restore the balance. Medicines like anti-psychotics are usually prescribed by psychiatrists. Please take her to a psychiatrist and get started on medicines.

Most such patients, do not comply with medicines, so in that case, there are other options that you can discuss with your psychiatrist. Some medicines can be given in food or water or any beverage which are tasteless, colorless and odorless. Once her acute symptoms are reduced she should comply with medicines.

Also, there are Depot injections that can be given once a month or two months.

|