Q. Is brace enough for my scoliosis, or is my curve bad enough to do Schroth exercises?

Dr. Atul Prakash

I have scoliosis and I am 13 years old, my spine curve is around 24-28 degrees. I have a brace that I wear at night and I was given exercises to do called schroth but it's so lame I do not do any of the exercises, tho I do wear my brace. Is it okay to just stick with my brace or is my curve bad enough that I'll have to do the schroth? Also what can I do to prevent getting a worse curve besides schroth? And I mean by should I try sitting up when biking? Or should I always put a pillow behind my back or something? Avoid slouching for example when watching a movie sitting on the couch?

#

The progressive nature cannot be understood by one value of Cobb's angle.

At 24-28 bracing is recommended and as long as you are religiously putting that on , and 16 to 23 hrs a day is needed for the brace to be a deterrent.

yearly to 6 monthly reviews with x-rays are needed to see the progress is less than 5 degrees worsening per year.

Schroth is a philosophy of strengthening the core and spinal muscles to help stop.the progress till your Risser 4 is achieved.

What is your current Risser score?

Cobb angles 50 or less are treated without surgery. Your aim is not to reach that number and do what what ever is needed.

| 

What are the chances of developing scoliosis in adulthood?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 16 years old. I just recently discovered that I have scoliosis. I do not know much about it but I will tell you what I know. My scoliosis currently has only a 3-degree curve and I am pretty confident it is a C shaped curve, although I am not sure. What do you think are the chances t...  Read Full »

I have lower back pain and inward curvature of spine. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, For the past two years, I have experienced lower back pain coupled with what I think to be an abnormal inward curvature of my spine. I recently went to a pediatrician and the doctor brushed it off saying there is nothing wrong with my spine. No one believes me even though I have showe...  Read Full »

Is it possible to lead a normal life with scoliosis and neck stiffness?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old female. I am in a job for which I will be out of home for at least 11 hours. My problem is stiffness in the neck (in the left side alone) for the past four months. In certain positions of my neck, head trembles, heart beats fast, and shortness of breath is produced. I...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Spine Health Specialist Now