Q. I am having sore throat and fever, which keeps fluctuating. Should I go for a COVID-19 test?

Dr. Sandhya
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

From yesterday I am having a sore throat and fever of 100. 9 degrees F.

It is fluctuating between 100.4 to 100.9 degrees F.

I am feeling a pricking sensation in my throat and a mild dry cough. I had drunk house water kept in the refrigerator for few days. I am also feeling a bit tired. I am also feeling chills occasionally.

I have the sense of smell and taste, however, for now. There is no chest pain when I breathe, nor do I have difficulty in breathing.

Exposure information -

I was going to the gym for few months during the evenings, where the gym people do temperature, oxygen, and pulse checks during entry.

I was wearing an N95 mask to the gym place and did gyming without a mask.

I was going out shopping and walking wearing a mask.

Do these symptoms indicate COVID-19 symptoms, or is it a common cold or flu?

Should I go for a COVID-19 test or wait and see if my symptoms are getting reduced in the coming days.

Please advise.

#

Sore throat, dry cough, fever, and cold are common to both common cold and to COVID. Having said that, most COVID patients complain of loss of smell and taste. Since you are not having both the problems, you are relatively safe. I would like to assure you that you do not have to panic. My Advice would be :

1. Take daily steam inhalations for 10 minutes thrice a day.

2. Saltwater gargle for throat each time, keeping the solution in your throat for atleast 20 seconds. Do this thrice daily.

3. Tablet Levocet M (Levocetirizine and Montelukast) one hour before going to bed daily.

4. Syrup TusQ (Chlorpheniramine and Phenylephrine) With Dextromethorphan 5 ml thrice daily.

5. Tablet Vamol (Paracetamol) 650 mg two times a day after food.

6. Refrain from using iced or cold water.

7. Try workouts at home rather than gym since wearing a mask would be mandatory anywhere you go including inside a gym since it is technically outside and therefore a public area.

8. Please do take an RT-PCR test to rule out COVID rather than an antigen test. You will get the result in a day.

9. There is absolutely no need to panic. Medications will help you recover faster.

I hope I could be of help. Take care. Stay healthy, happy, and safe.

Do follow-up in case of any queries.

Common cold , Seasonal viral fever.

RT-PCR test for COVID-19.

Continue wearing a mask preferably follow double masking, and continue to sanitize.

Follow-up with me after you receive your report.

Hi Doctor,
I'm yet to give samples for covid 19 test. I will try to give tomorrow. And looks like Vamol 650 mg is a paracetamol medicine. I didn't take Vamol 650mg. Instead I'm took Amoxyclav 650mg and Levocet 10mg twice.
The feeling of pricking throat has reduced now but there are still below issues.
1. Tiredness and fatigue
2. My body temperature keeps fluctuating 99 to 99 to 100.5. The body temperature is not reducing to 98.6 degrees F.
This is temperature readings during the day-
99, 99.8, 99.6, 100.5, 99.6, 100.5
3. Feeling of chills and sweating keeps coming and going.

On checking the internet they are saying that even for blood cancer the temperatures will keep fluctuating like this.
I'm little worried about this now.
Plz advise.
# Hello Mr. Uday.
You don't have to worry. It is not blood cancer. Do not browse through the internet with relatable symptoms it will give false information and therefore makes one anxious.
Secondly, amoxiclav (625) is an antibiotic. You don't have to take an antibiotic with the current symptoms. Vamol 650mg is more than enough for the same. If you have already started antibiotics, do complete the course and do not stop in between.
Continue the medicines that has been adviced. Do follow up after you receive the report. Get well soon. Take care.

|