Q. Is it safe to remove a sebaceous cyst surgically?

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 16, 2014 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2020

My wife is 52 years old and she has a painless sebaceous cyst at the back of her head. She has been advised surgical excision. Is it safe? Are there any complications? Will her hair grow back?

#

Sebaceous cyst on the scalp is very common.There are no complications in relation to the surgical excision.

Regarding the hair growth, yes it does grow back because hair follicles are not damaged. Only the operative site will be shaved. Some plastic surgeons with loads of practice operate with very minimal hair shaving. So, do not worry. Her hair will grow back. Only when the stitches are taken off, there are chances of very minimal pain. Even this can be overcome by using a topical anesthetic gel/spray during suture removal.

To know in detail about the surgical procedure, consult a general surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-surgeon

| 

Is it possible to remove milia with a needle?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a noticeable milia spot on my cheek. My dermatologist said that she would extract, but it could leave a dented scar. I have read that it does not scar. I am very nervous and unhappy with this milia, which looks like a big whitehead. Will it be safe to get it extracted? I have panic...  Read Full »

Is what I am having a cyst in the brain?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having a cyst in the brain, maybe from birth. Cannot remember exactly, though it is not giving any problems, but should I worry about it? Attached is the picture.  Read Full »

What is the little bump that is present on my stomach?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had this little bump on my stomach for a few years. I have attached a picture of the bump. I have shaved the area to give you a better picture. The bump is not growing or increasing in size. It has been the same size. What could this be?  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a General Surgeon Now