Q. I am suffering from dry and scaly scalp. Is that scalp psoriasis?

Dr. Shalini Patodiya
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 16, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 22, 2021

I am suffering from dry, scaly patches on the scalp for the last six to eight months. Since childhood, I have severe dandruff, mild itching and hair fall. I consulted two doctors. First one said that it may by scalp psoriasis and the other told that it looks like some fungal infection. I am using Salisia KT shampoo. I do not have scales on any other parts of my body. I am worried by thinking it may be scalp psoriasis. I can easily remove the scales present on the hairline. Please suggest. Thank you in advance

#

Yes, the symptoms can be of both seborrheic dermatitis and scalp psoriasis.

• To differentiate, please answer the following. Do have a family history of psoriasis?
  • Is there a history of exacerbation in winter or itching over the face and back?

Please follow up with the photos as it will help me to arrive a final diagnosis.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

None of the members in my family have psoriasis. I have a lot of anxiety. I used to get tense for even a small thing. It will start to itch when I think of it. Also, at least once in a month, I will have a throat infection. I do not itch on my back or face. It is very rare. In fact, it all started when I start to work. I changed my work location and so, I will be in AC all time. I also do not find any red patches under the scale.

#

Thank you for the prompt and complete reply.

Now, I can confidently say that you do not have psoriasis. It is just seborrheic dermatitis or severe dandruff in common language.

• I suggest you Keraglo-AD shampoo (Ketoconazole anti dandruff) on every alternate day. Keep the shampoo for five minutes and then wash it off.
  • This will reduce your itching and dandruff. Also, avoid oiling your hair.

Revert back after 15 days to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|