Q. Is the mole on my back seborrheic keratosis?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy
Published on Sep 10, 2019

I have an ugly mole on my back. I saw a dermatologist about a year ago. I am sure he looked at this and I thought he may be said it was an S.K. but it does appear to have gotten darker than I remember it. It looks different than my other moles. A bit concerned.

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatology Venereology
#

Clinically, this looks like SK, seborrheic keratosis, it is not a mole (attachment removed to protect patient identity). SK is a benign growth of epidermal cell called keratinocyte. Whereas a mole or benign nevus is the benign growth of melanocyte. In the picture, It has a flaky rough surface, has stuck on appearance which is a very classical feature of SK. Dermoscopic examination gives more details to confirm the diagnosis, I am sure your dermatologist would have seen the lesion with a dermoscopy.

Usually, if the lesion appears suspicious on dermoscopic examination, we consider a shave biopsy to rule out any possible malignancy. SK can get bigger in size and turn darker as well. They may increase in number as we get older, they are also called wisdom spots. If the lesion is painful or itchy, then I would suggest you visit your doctor for dermoscopic examination and biopsy if found suspicious. As of now without any symptoms, it looks harmless.

| 

New moles are appearing in my palms. Is it melanoma?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24-year-old male. For the last six years, new black moles have been appearing in my palms. It is not creating issues like itching, pain, etc. I just want to know whether it a symptom of melanoma.  Read Full »

Is mole with large circular area a suspicious one?

Query: Hi doctor, Today I noticed two moles on my back with large dark circles around them. I have attached the photos of one affected area only. I have always had these moles, but have never seen these dark circles until today. I have had biopsies of moles from my back before and they were not cancerous. ...  Read Full »

I need a second opinion for my skin pigmentation.

Query: Hi doctor,I am seeking a second opinion on an issue. Recently, a doctor at a skin cancer clinic observed my hands and arms and noticed sunspots on my hands. I have something similar on my right inner forearm. In the past, I have noticed a spot growing adjacent to this. Another, dermatologist felt th...  Read Full »