Q. Is the mole on my back seborrheic keratosis?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

I have an ugly mole on my back. I saw a dermatologist about a year ago. I am sure he looked at this and I thought he may be said it was an S.K. but it does appear to have gotten darker than I remember it. It looks different than my other moles. A bit concerned.

Do you have a question on Seborrheic Keratosis or Mole?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

MBBS., MD- DERMATOLOGY, VENEREOLOGY, LEPROSY
Dermatology Venereology

Clinically, this looks like SK, seborrheic keratosis, it is not a mole (attachment removed to protect patient identity). SK is a benign growth of epidermal cell called keratinocyte. Whereas a mole or benign nevus is the benign growth of melanocyte. In the picture, It has a flaky rough surface, has stuck on appearance which is a very classical feature of SK. Dermoscopic examination gives more details to confirm the diagnosis, I am sure your dermatologist would have seen the lesion with a dermoscopy.

Usually, if the lesion appears suspicious on dermoscopic examination, we consider a shave biopsy to rule out any possible malignancy. SK can get bigger in size and turn darker as well. They may increase in number as we get older, they are also called wisdom spots. If the lesion is painful or itchy, then I would suggest you visit your doctor for dermoscopic examination and biopsy if found suspicious. As of now without any symptoms, it looks harmless.

New moles are appearing in my palms. Is it melanoma?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24-year-old male. For the last six years, new black moles have been appearing in my palms. It is not creating issues like itching, pain, etc. I just want to know whether it a symptom of melanoma.  Read Full »
Dr. Kakkar S
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have noted your concern and I have viewed the images (attachment removed to prevent patient identity). These are benign nevi - acquired melanocytic nevi (AMNs). They are not a sign of melanoma. AMNs may increase in number during the first three decades and it is a...  Read Full »

Is mole with large circular area a suspicious one?
Query: Hi doctor, Today I noticed two moles on my back with large dark circles around them. I have attached the photos of one affected area only. I have always had these moles, but have never seen these dark circles until today. I have had biopsies of moles from my back before and they were not cancerous. ...  Read Full »
Dr. Gaurang Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Definitely this mole with the large circular area is suspicious. There is a high chance that this mole could be cancerous. I would suggest you to get a biopsy done as this is a doubtful mole. Any acute change in size, texture, margins and color of a mole is an alarming ...  Read Full »

I need a second opinion for my skin pigmentation.
Query: Hi doctor,I am seeking a second opinion on an issue. Recently, a doctor at a skin cancer clinic observed my hands and arms and noticed sunspots on my hands. I have something similar on my right inner forearm. In the past, I have noticed a spot growing adjacent to this. Another, dermatologist felt th...  Read Full »
Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Blotchy pigmentation is a common problem noticed in patients above 50 years of age. A sensitive skin predisposes more to such pigmentary changes. Your clinical images are suggestive of macular seborrheic keratosis or solar lentigo, both of which are benign. Although, comm...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now