Q. What is the solution for secondary amenorrhea?

Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair Bhaskaran
This is a premium question & answer published on May 17, 2018 and last reviewed on: Nov 28, 2022

My sister has had secondary amenorrhea for the last six years. Her LH and FSH are very low, but her AMH is satisfactory. Is there any solution to this? Please suggest.

#

I understand your concern.

Was there any reason for this problem, especially during her previous delivery, or other endocrinological reasons?

According to you, she will need further evaluation to rule out the reasons for pituitary dysfunction, as LH (luteinizing hormone) and FSH (stimulating follicle hormone) are low.

It should be high. So, there is a disparity. Can you provide more details?

Thank you for the reply.

She is just 24 years and not married. She was prescribed some tablets to get withdrawal bleeding. She has got her karyotyping analysis done, and it is fine. Other hormones like prolactin and TSH are also fine. If it is due to pituitary dysfunction, then what will be the solution?

#

I understand your concern.

We have to find out any treatable causes of a pituitary problem. Since karyotyping is normal, it may not be an inherited problem. She can be supplemented with estrogen and progesterone for a regular cycle. If there is no withdrawal bleeding with progesterone, then estrogen can be given for some time, followed by progesterone. If planning for marriage and family, then consult an infertility specialist and take their opinion. She will do an ultrasound scan to see the ovary and follicles and, if needed, then further hormone check. If she is not ovulating and has no chance to ovulate, then she can conceive with a donor egg and deliver a baby.

|