Q. Is it safer to take Zoloft after inguinal hernia operation under general anesthesia?

Dr. Vamsee Kiran Lakkam

I am about to have an open inguinal hernia operation after 15 days. I have been having terrible anxiety leading up to it. I went to my PCP today and informed him of this. He prescribed 25 mg of Zoloft for me. I have read that it takes a month for Zoloft to work. Also, I have read that Zoloft can cause bleeding and complicated risk after surgery. I will be under general anesthesia. Is it safer for me to wait and begin taking the Zoloft after the surgery if I need it?

Dr. Vamsee Kiran Lakkam

Anesthesiology
#

I would like to know that whether your hernia is the cause of anxiety. If anxiety is the case let me assure you that you have nothing to worry from surgical aspect as hernia repair is not a complicated or major surgery. So, the blood loss should not be worrying if you were only on Zoloft. But would like to know if you are having any other medication.

Also, since your BMI indicates you are obese, which might be one of the causes for a hernia. Would like to know some other parameters like your blood pressure and sugars, your cardiac status as indicated by ECG and 2D echo. How is your exercise tolerance? Your coagulation profile, other basic blood reports like CBC. How about laparoscopic hernia repair? Or why not under regional anesthesia? Would also suggest yoga and meditation to relieve your anxiety and stress.

For more information consult an anesthesiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/anesthesiologist

| 

BP today was 110/70. No cardiac history. Work out strength and cardio five days a week on average. The surgeon is doing open because possible sports hernia with a hernia found on ultrasound. Caused by years of running possibly not for sure. Also, have a hip labral tear. They think the pain is coming from the hernia as the Cortisone shot in hip gave no relief. Surgeon always does general anesthesia. Other medications, just multi-vitamin, fish oil and Vitamin D. Ibuprofen as needed on rare occasion. It is a direct hernia. Recent EKG a month back was normal. Have pre-anesthesia appointment after 10 days. They will do EKG blood work and possible chest X-ray, cholesterol was 241 overall not on medication. So should I start the Zoloft now or wait until after surgery as I do not think it will do much before surgery for my anxiety. Thinking about the pain after surgery is what is causing my anxiety. I had varicocele surgery and am thinking the pain will be similar.

Dr. Vamsee Kiran Lakkam

Anesthesiology
#

Regarding Zoloft, peak action may take longer like a month or more but the drug may start acting after a week. So, it might help your anxiety. I would suggest you continue it. Regarding your previous surgery for varicocele, I am sorry. Hope this would not end like that. You can ask your anesthesiologist for an epidural if you are pain sensitive or for a post-operative TAP (transverse abdominis plane) block or ilioinguinal iliohypogastric nerve block. That should help you. Other than that if your other surgical profile is fine, you are good to go.

|