Q. Can I get a spinal block for laparotomy instead of general anesthesia?

Dr. Yatish Anant Jadhav
Published on Mar 24, 2018

I have been diagnosed with a 13 cm complex cyst in left ovary and have a laparotomy (small 3 to 4 inches vertical incision under my belly button to get rid of ovarian cyst) coming up and I would feel so much better if I could just get a spinal block instead of general anesthesia. I have heard of multiple women getting these with similar surgeries and I want to know why my surgeon is telling me that spinal block is not possible. I have a major anxiety of general anesthesia and I know my recovery would be better with a spinal. The tests performed are an ultrasound and CT scan.

Dr. Yatish Anant Jadhav

Anesthesiology
#

Spinal anesthesia is good for surgeries below umbilicus eg., pelvic surgeries, and ovarian cyst as in your case. But the size of your cyst is large, more than 10 cm and it is a complex cyst (not simple) which would mean surgeon may have to see other intrabdominal structures also and may take more time to complete surgery, also you may feel uncomfortable if he has to extend incision above the umbilicus. So he has advised you for general anesthesia which is the most reliable option in your case.

For more information consult an anesthesiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/anesthesiologist

How to consume Kalarchi Choornam to get rid of multiple ovarian cysts?

Query: Hi doctor, How to consume Kalarchi Choornam to completely get rid of multiple cysts in both ovaries. It is not pcod but countless multiple cysts on both ovaries. Please clarify, how much and how many times should I consume daily? And for how long? Is it fine to take the medicine during menstrual cy...  Read Full »

Can Kalarchikai cure multiple ovarian cysts in PCOD?

Query: Hello doctor, I have multiple small cysts in both ovaries (PCOS). Our family friend suggested me to consume Kalarchikai medicine, powdered mixed with pepper and honey to have it for one mandalam (48 days). I have completed nearly 44 days by consuming one small ball of the mixture every morning and ...  Read Full »

Ask an Anesthesiologist Now