Q. I had seizure after having an energy drink. Why?

This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 04, 2020

Two months before, I had a grand mal seizure after drinking an energy drink. Since then, my sleep has become progressively worse. I am a nurse and worked the last three long days. However, last night I slept for one hour and I was then wide awake. I took the maximum dose of Melissa dream to assist me, but it did not work. I have also tried Valarian, but I still awoke at 3 AM. I used Melatonin for one week, which did help me sleep, but I felt like a zombie during the day and I became so severely constipated. I also feel that I am hypersalivating. I am aware of too much sensation in my lips and all of these are new since the seizure. I also had a feeling of stress in my chest for no reason after the seizure. I guess it is still there most of the time; particularly, when I cannot sleep. I have been to my GP, but I have to wait for a neurologist review. I had a CT brain, which was fine and I am going to have an MRI in two days. My fear is that this is hormonal and I am going to be left like this long term. Any of your help would be so appreciated as I feel I am losing my mind.

#

We are here to help you. I understand your concern.

• The seizure activity you had needed to be evaluated for the cause. If that was an acute symptomatic seizure following an energy drink, then you might have reacted to some of its content.
  • Important here is to evaluate other causes. So, MRI brain along with EEG (electroencephalogram) is warranted.
  • In such cases, where there is insomnia, we usually prefer to use Zolpidem for this purpose. This drug induces your sleep and makes your morning fresh.
  • So, ask your doctor for a prescription as this is a prescription medicine. I would be waiting to hear from you with your MRI report.

Idiopathic.

MRI brain and EEG.

For further information consult a neurologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|