Q. If I stop taking Keppra suddenly, will it cause withdrawal seizure?

Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar Choudhary and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Seizure or Mri? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: If I stop taking Keppra suddenly, will it cause withdrawal seizure?

I had a seizure for the first time in my life when I was about 19 years old. The emergency room physician did not do any tests before he put me on Keppra. After I had been put on Keppra, I went to a neurologist who did an MRI and a sleep study. Nothing showed up on either test, but he wants to keep me on the medication. The issue that I have is I think the medication is causing more problems than helping. Why would he keep me on the medication when I was not diagnosed with anything? But I was told that even if I do not need the medication and I still stopped it cold turkey, it could cause seizures. Is it true?