Q. What is a seizure?

Dr. Ambekar Sudheer
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 04, 2020

Before 5 years, I fell down backwards on the ground. My head collided strongly. Now, I am having some ill feeling in head and that is not a headache. Once, while sleeping on the floor, I became unconscious for a while. My EEG result says that I have a seizure. What is it? Shall I do further tests like scanning? I attacked my wife while sleeping without my conscious. Please advise.

#

A seizure is the manifestation of abnormal electrical activity in the brain. Seizure can be caused by many reasons such as tumor, injury and vascular disorders.

In the absence of any structural lesion on MRI, it might be epilepsy due to an unknown cause.

• Medications can help control the occurrence of seizures in the future.
  • You should get an MRI of the brain to rule out any lesion that could have caused the seizure. Please get an MRI of the brain and consult the neurologist.

For further doubts consult a neurologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|