Q. What is a seizure?

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 04, 2020

Before 5 years, I fell down backwards on the ground. My head collided strongly. Now, I am having some ill feeling in head and that is not a headache. Once, while sleeping on the floor, I became unconscious for a while. My EEG result says that I have a seizure. What is it? Shall I do further tests like scanning? I attacked my wife while sleeping without my conscious. Please advise.

#

A seizure is the manifestation of abnormal electrical activity in the brain. Seizure can be caused by many reasons such as tumor, injury and vascular disorders.

In the absence of any structural lesion on MRI, it might be epilepsy due to an unknown cause.

• Medications can help control the occurrence of seizures in the future.
  • You should get an MRI of the brain to rule out any lesion that could have caused the seizure. Please get an MRI of the brain and consult the neurologist.

For further doubts consult a neurologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

| 

My 15 year old sister has seizures, and her brain activity is abnormal. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My sister has been having seizures. So, we consulted a doctor, who said she has abnormal brain activity. Her EEG showed abnormal spikes. Currently, she is taking Levipil 1000,  twice a day. What is going on with my sister? No one is explaining anything, and the medication is affecti...  Read Full »

Please suggest ways to prevent a seizure attack.

Query: Hi doctor,I am a seizure patient. Please give me some suggestion to recover from this seizure. Also, how to stop further seizure attacks?  Read Full »

Can sinus infection cause seizures?

Query: Hello doctor, I am writing to get a second opinion for my relative. He is a 19 year old male. He had a seizure last year and the second seizure was on last week. His EEG was normal and also had an MRI. The doctors said that he has chronic sinusitis with thickened mucosa and they started giving him...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»