Q. Having severe pain during brushing and all my teeth are sensitive. Please help.

Dr. Mohammed Nassar

It has been over two years since I brushed my teeth however, I have no physical signs of decay. I have recently (last three months) tried every sensitivity toothpaste known over the counter because my teeth are susceptible. Whenever I brush my teeth, the pain is so bad. I nearly faint I have been to my local dentist is lost his last resort is to kill my nerves, but I do not want to do that unless necessary. Please help.

#

I understand that you suffer from susceptible teeth. You say that there are no signs of decay, I ask you, is it severe sensitivity can be a sign? However, to be accurate in commenting, I will share my thoughts and the things we need to do to diagnose this. If you have large fillings (deep fillings), it can be a cause, as it is close to the nerves of the tooth. Also, if you made a new filling in less than four weeks, this could be a cause. If you have a history of teeth grinding this can be a cause.

And if in a small percentage some physiologic normal tooth morphologic gaps between the enamel and the cementum tissues of the teeth sensitivity can be the cause, but the last scenario is not causing that severe pain. Also, you tried many sensitivity toothpastes, and it did not work out, I think that it is time for a dentist interference.

Does your pain occur in a particular tooth or is it generalized, did you have a new dental treatment, fillings or scaling? Are you a smoker? What is your age? Do you have a teeth-grinding problem? I need more history, x-rays and some intraoral photographs for better diagnosis and for making a good treatment plan. I hope that answered your question.

Decays, deep fillings, pulpal irritation, trauma, bruxism, and calculus.

Panoramic, periapical x-rays, intraoral photographs.

Irreversible or reversible pulpitis. Hypersensitivity.

Comprehensive diagnosis and treatment plan in two weeks, a dental check-up every three months.

|