Tooth Filling

How to treat the deep hole inside my molar tooth that is seen after the filling got chipped off?

Query: Hi doctor, I feel incredibly terrified of going to the dentist. The large piece of filling in my back molar chipped off. There is a large hole that is very deep inside the tooth. What has caused this? And what might be the treatment? It is not causing me any pain. Kindly help.  Read Full »

Dr. Krishna Swaroop Achanta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. That is deep cavitation that may convert to a potential root canal infection. If you do not prevent this decayed infection, it will continue to infect the attached jaw or nerves. So, I suggest not to ignore your dental health and consult me imme...  Read Full »

Is it common to have altered bite and increased sensitivity after dental fillings?

Query: Hi doctor, My dentist fixed two fillings in my upper back teeth. As my bite was different and I had sensitivity, I went back to the dentist, and the doctor fixed it. She said she needed to shave most of the fillings because I had a very heavy bite. After a month, I still feel few sensitivities thou...  Read Full »

Dr. Ummah Mohammad

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.I understand your concern and worry. But from the things you have explained to me, I believe your dentist is very skilled and did the most exact treatment that could be done. The sensitivity that you are still complaining of might be due to shaving off the tooth structure a...  Read Full »

My gums turned white and purple after replacement of a filling. Should I be worried?

Query: Hello doctor, Yesterday I had a replacement of a filling in my first lower molar. Today I noticed that from the side closer to the cheek my gum between first and second molar turned white and purple. It seems to be dead. My tooth does not hurt. I had an injection with anesthetic, but it was differe...  Read Full »

Dr. Gaurav Pandey

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please do not overthink about this. If you have no pain and swelling, you should not be worried about that change. Sometime during the filling procedure, high-speed instrument touches surround gum tissue and make some traumatic ulcers, which gets cured automatically ...  Read Full »

How to treat my tooth cavity without root canal treatment?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a tooth cavity. Does it require root canal treatment?  Read Full »

Dr. Shipra Chaudhary

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do you have pain in your tooth?  Read Full »

How to help my husband who has got pain and swelling post deep filling in his molar tooth?

Query: Hi doctor, My husband had a deep filling in his upper second to last molar (left side). About several hours later, he started having discomfort and taking Tylenol and Ibuprofen interchangeably. Now, it has been the second day with severe pain and his cheek is swollen. And the gum over the tooth is ...  Read Full »

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In this condition the tooth should not be filled and instead, root canal should be done. As the filling was near the pulp, pulpal irritation is causing the pain. Take tablet Amoxiclav (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) 625 mg one tablet twice daily for five days, Z...  Read Full »

Why do I get pain in my decayed tooth even after filling?

Query: Hello doctor, I had tooth decay and got it fixed at my dentist. After that, I started feeling pain and my dentist told me it is because of the sinus, I started using salt sprays. After a few days, I could still feel the pain. Yet he did an x-ray and could not figure out what is wrong but I am still ...  Read Full »

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you are certainly correct. Do warm saline gargle three to four times a day. Your dentist should have taken an x-ray before filling it. Please take tablet Sporidex (Cephalexin) 500 mg 1 tablet twice after meals for five days, Metrogyl ER 1 tablet twice after me...  Read Full »

I have toothache after the tooth filling chipped off. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I flossed by a tooth where a filling almost came out and my tooth and gum have been hurting all night. Also have a tooth that is by this molar that fell or chipped out. I do not know if it is an abscess or an exposed nerve in my molar that is right behind it. Took Tylenol 2 every 6 ho...  Read Full »

Dr. Beryl Fredrick

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Is the pain sharp or dull? Any gum swelling? If the pain is sharp, lancinating and referring to the same side jaw, temple, ear or throat, then this could be from the tooth with the chipped out filling. Most chipped out fillings expose the underlying nerve which cause...  Read Full »

Is there any gel to suppress tooth sensitivity due to fallen tooth filling?

Query: Hello doctor, I take Sompraz D20 on an empty stomach every day. I also take Libotryp at night for stomach TB for the last one year. I have pain in my lower teeth while eating anything. One year ago a small cavity was also detected for which I underwent airbrushing and filling. I suspect that the fi...  Read Full »

Dr. Honey Nandwani

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. See, the first thing that I need to know is that, is whether the pain is present in a single tooth or multiple teeth? As you mentioned in your question that the filling has come out, so please make it clear that is the tooth that has lost filling is painful ...  Read Full »

Is it okay to get tooth filled without getting it cleaned post-five-day prescription of tablets?

Query: Hello doctor, Is it okay to get a tooth cavity filled without getting it cleaned post-five-day prescription of two tablets? Does this have consequences?  Read Full »

Dr. Ummah Mohammad

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The cavity is always cleaned before filling it up. Five days medication is fine that is to subside any further infection. Caries, if present, are never left as it is. There may be another case if it is simply a hole or broken area and not carious but that is also irr...  Read Full »

My 7-year-old had a filling a month ago and has pain in it now. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,My 7-year-old child had a small filling about a month ago in his top premolar (baby tooth). Two weeks later he said it hurts a little when biting and with temperature. I have taken him to two different pediatric dentists who did X-rays and did not see any cracks in the filling or infect...  Read Full »

Dr. Smitha Chowdary Yalavarthy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly it is not a premolar but a deciduous molar, as premolars are absent in baby's dentition. And please check if the baby is having sensitivity or pain. There is a small difference between the two, which we can differentiate while a baby cannot. If the cavity is ...  Read Full »