Q. Kindly suggest Ayurveda treatment for sensorineural hearing loss?

I am a 41-year-old female. I am suffering from sensorineural hearing loss. Is there any Ayurvedic treatment for this? Because I do not want to use hearing aids. Please help.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Sensorineural hearing loss cannot be reversed or cured. Scientific evidence about preventing it from causing further damage due to age also is not very sound. However, what is the cause of neural loss? Is it present in both ears or only one? Can you upload your audiometry to check? Was an MRI scan done to rule out neuroma of the eighth nerve?

Ayurvedic medicines rely on improving the nerves so that their functioning stays sound. It will not help in overcoming the loss. It may, however, prevent further deterioration of hearing in that ear due to aging with time.

| 

MRI was not done. Three months back I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and my LDL was 222. My weight is 62 kgs my height is 151 cm. The doctor did not give medicines but told me to lose weight because hearing loss might be due to my blood sugar level. Three months back my blood sugar was 140. My doctor told me to do the test again, but till now I have not done so.

#

Your audiometry report says there is a mild sensorineural hearing loss in both sides (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is symmetric and appears age-related. However, it does not happen at 40 years of age. It will be wise to get an MRI brain done to rule out any acoustic neuroma although the chances for it are very minimal.

Septilin tablet of Himalaya is good. It has a lot of Vitamins which can help arrest further hearing loss. But not scientifically proven. Neurobion forte and Neurozan plus and Trinerve Forte also can help replenish the nerve. It is advisable to repeat the audiometry from a good lab and check. Was the hearing loss sudden or insidious?

|