Sensorineural Hearing Loss

What is the cause of my hearing problem?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 24 years old. I am having trouble with my left ear hearing. But, I never took much care to sort it. Lately, I found it is little awkward. I am having an old audiogram result with me. Please look through it and tell your advice.  Read Full »

Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have an almost nil hearing in the left ear (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your right ear is normal. So, all your hearing is through right ear and problem you already have is difficulty in localizing speech other than hearing loss. Unilateral heari...  Read Full »

What causes sudden hearing loss with severe ear pain?

Query: I have a sudden hearing loss all that i can hear in my right ear is what i can only describe as blood pumping like a pulsating, however i have a lot of pain with it as well.  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi! A sudden sensorineural hearing loss occuring with 24 hrs is a medical emergency and has to be evaluated and treated accordingly. Any treatment initiated after 48hrs becomes less usefull and doest bring desired results even with full course of treatment and hence its vital that you get yourself ...  Read Full »

When there was no direct impact on the left, what caused the sensorineural hearing loss?

Query: I suffered a traumatic brain injury (close head skull fracture), falling from a height of 15ish feet and landing on the right side of my head. It resulted in some hearing loss (sensorineural & conducive on right; strictly sensorineural on the left) and caused tinnitus in both ears. When there w...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi! Thanks for briefing about the problem in concern. You would have probably developed a temporal bone fracture due to the fall. Temporal bone fractures are divided into longitudinal and transverse (an old classification) or otic capsule sparing /involving ( new classification). The reason for t...  Read Full »

What is the best treatment for asymmetric hearing loss and tinnitus?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been diagnosed with asymmetrical hearing loss and tinnitus of the left ear. I did not notice any ongoing hearing problems. In May, I had my ears cleaned. After having them cleaned, I felt that the left ear is still plugged. About a week or so later, I woke up to horrible tinnitu...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hearing loss of sudden onset can be due to various causes. The most common of them being termed sudden sensorineural hearing loss. There are various theories to the different causes of this type of hearing loss and there is no evidence to prove all of them. The most i...  Read Full »

Will ear tubes help in hearing due to sensorineural hearing loss?

Query: Hello doctor, I suffer from sensorineural hearing loss in both my ears for nine months. I had a mild hearing loss that got worse over the winter with ear infections. As a result, my hearing got worse, and I need to get hearing aids. I also have tinnitus in my left ear. Also, I have fluid in my ma...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hearing in all of us is defined by a conductive component and sensorineural component. Anything to do with the nerve and transmission of nerve impulses is termed sensorineural and in most cases the damage is irreversible. Anything interfering with the conduction of ...  Read Full »

I have tinnitus and sensorineural hearing loss. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I want to tell you that I have sensineural hearing loss and tinnitus according to my reports. My doctor told me that I have mild sensineural hearing loss. I am sending you reports. I want to clear my doubts about sensineural hearing loss. Is my sensineural hearing loss progressive in...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since how many days are you having hearing loss and tinnitus? If it is since a few days you should try taking oral steroids. Your hearing loss can revert back. MRI or any other scan is not needed. But you do let me know if your tinnitus and hearing loss is sudden in ons...  Read Full »

Why am I having right ear fullness and background noise?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having right ear fullness and it started several days ago. Last night I awoke due to a pulsating pain in my right ear. I hear some background noise and in silent environment, it is most evident. Is that fine? I had Bell's palsy 2.5 months ago on the left side and again, a month ago o...  Read Full »

Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are having sensorineural hearing loss. It is in early stage and mild. So, you are having pulsation in the ear. Another important thing is bilateral Bell's palsy. It is not common. Having facial palsy is not good and the developing sensorineural component...  Read Full »

I have constant tinnitus and sensorineural hearing loss. Is it Meniere's disease?

Query: Hello doctor, I have constant tinnitus and sensorineural hearing loss for about five months. I am sending you reports of my PTA and otoscopy. Now I have ear fullness, tinnitus, and hearing loss in my left ear. My right ear is normal. Tinnitus is continuous for past four months. I do not have any ve...  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Otolaryngologist, Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is minimal loss in the left ear. The symptoms do not seem to be due to Meniere's disease. The tinnitus is due to the hearing loss. Take tablet Cinnarizine 75 mg once daily for 15 days and ta...  Read Full »

I am suffering from sensorineural hearing loss. Is there any Ayurveda treatment for this?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 41-year-old female. I am suffering from sensorineural hearing loss. Is there any Ayurvedic treatment for this? Because I do not want to use hearing aids. Please help.  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sensorineural hearing loss cannot be reversed or cured. Scientific evidence about preventing it from causing further damage due to age also is not very sound. However, what is the cause of neural loss? Is it present in both ears or only one? Can you upload your audio...  Read Full »

How to cure tinnitus due to Aspirin in a hypertensive patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a BP patient. So, my doctor is giving Aspirin 75 mg from the past four months. But, due to the side effect of this, a tinnitus problem is there in the right ear. So, what can I do to cure this problem?  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your hearing test seems to be normal majorly (in normal frequency). But, you have sensorineural hearing loss at a high frequency that is due to nerve weakness and hence, you are having tinnitus as well (most likely). To rule out any middle ear pathology I would advise ...  Read Full »