Q. My nose is swollen and tender after septoplasty. Kindly help.

Dr. Amit Jauhari

Nine weeks post septoplasty/turbinate reduction. My nose feels swollen and tender on the inside. It feels like there is dry and ice cold air going up my nose. How long does it take to completely heal? I have used nasal rinses, sprays, etc.

Dr. Amit Jauhari

General Medicine Internal Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

Septoplasty is corrective procedure. The wound on your nose will heal fairly quickly, and your breathing is likely to improve shortly after the procedure. However, the overall healing process can be slow. Cartilage and other nasal tissues can take up to a year to fully settle into their new shape. Tips for a quicker recovery include: elevating your head at night to keep the swelling down, not blowing your nose forcefully after surgery, wearing shirts that button up in the front so you will not have to pull clothing over your head. Also, remember to avoid hot, cold and dry air. Slow nasal breathing exercises (after permission from your surgeon) can help recovery faster. Nasal rinses, if advised should be continued. Wishing you speedy recovery.

| 

Would the cartridge settling in explain the cold air/ dry air and tenderness

Dr. Amit Jauhari

#

Cartilage healing can be associated with tenderness and numbness and pain. The cold and dry sensation can be due to increased perception or sensitivity of nose. Therefore, you have to follow the earlier mentioned tips judiciously.

|