Q. Can I practice martial arts if I got a septoplasty done eight years back?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I had a septoplasty on my nose eight years ago. I believe it also came with turbinate reduction. I have started picking up martial arts, specifically BJJ and Muay Thai. Is it possible that the septoplasty is weakened by nose structure to where it can be badly broken? Do you recommend against combat sports after septoplasty? Kindly give your opinion.

#

Your skeletal structure of the nose is defined by the bones and cartilage constituting the inner nasal septum and other bones that form the outer dorsal aspect of the nose.

Septoplasty is a surgical correction of the inner nasal septum and not the outer nasal bones which usually govern the shape of the nose. If there has been nasal obstruction and no cosmetic issues, a septoplasty with or without turbinate reduction is performed. If there are cosmetic issues regarding the shape of the nose, then a nose job or rhinoplasty is done. If there is nasal obstruction and cosmetic issues, a septorhinoplasty is done.

It is always better to avoid any sport which exposes you to a trauma involving the nose, especially when you have undergone surgery for the same. It takes months for the bones to heal and regain their resilience.

Even after a while, the nose is always one structure that is commonly injured and has a high tendency to get fractured. Care must always be taken.

I hope this was helpful. Please get back if you have further queries.

|