HomeAnswersGeneral Medicineserum calcium levelWhat test should I do to check my calcium levels?

What test should I undergo to check my calcium levels?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. K. Shobana

Published At November 27, 2017
Reviewed AtFebruary 16, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

What type of calcium blood test should I undergo to check my calcium as a part of a routine checkup? Also, provide me full details of the folic acid blood test as I want to undergo a blood test for a routine checkup.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I understand your concern.

My suggestions for you are as follows-

1. You can do total serum calcium level or as ionized and nonionized separately. However, generally, simple total serum calcium gives enough information needed to see whether there is any deficiency.

2. For folic acid level, you have to provide a blood sample, and it will be done.

If you want to investigate fully, I would suggest the following panel of tests:

1. CBC (complete blood count).

2. LFT (liver function test).

3. KFT (kidney function test).

4. TSH, T3, and T4 (thyroid stimulating hormone)

5. Serum calcium.

6. Serum folate.

7. Vitamin D level.

8. Urine examination.

9. USG (ultrasound) abdomen.

These tests are enough to rule out any major illness.


Patient's Query

Thank you doctor,

I am asking about the specific names of the tests for calcium and folic acid that I need to undergo.


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

The exact names of the tests would be serum calcium and serum folate levels.


Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Ashaq Hussain Parrey
Dr. Ashaq Hussain Parrey


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

General Medicine

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy