Q. How to find out the reason for extreme sweating, muscle stiffness and cramp?

Dr. Bindiya Thakkar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 11, 2020

I am a 50 year old male. I am living in a harsh, hot climate from my childhood. For the past three years, I have noticed that I get extremely exhausted with sweating. During the said period I get muscle stiffness, cramps and depression. My condition improves a little in days after drinking lots of water to the extent I have to keep my stomach bloating with water. What could be the possible causes for this condition? What medical tests should I get to know the cause? Kindly reply.

#

For better understanding I need more details from you.

• Do you get high blood pressure with these episodes? Is there any flushing?
  • Do you have diabetes? Is there any medical problem that runs in the family?
  • You can get kidney function, HbA1c, urine analysis, urine osmolality, TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone), liver function and plasma metanephrines during this episode.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

It took a little while to get the test results. Please check the test results attached as well. I do not get high blood pressure during these episodes. Also, I do not get any redness on my face. I am not a diabetic too. There is no health problem in my family and we follow a pretty much normal lifestyle.

#

• The good news is that these laboratory test reports are fine except low vitamin D and for which you should take 2000 IU per day.
  • Your problem in this case is unlikely to be endocrine. You may benefit from seeing a neurologist for a physical evaluation.

For further information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

|