How to help a child disturbed after seeing a sex video?

Q. My daughter has been disturbed by a glimpse of sex video. Kindly guide us.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnui
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 17, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 10, 2023

My daughter is 12 years old. She saw a glimpse of a sex video at the age of 7. She was inquisitive at that time. Somehow, we gave her a vague reply and the issue got settled. But now, since last week or so, she started to behave abnormally keeping to herself. After prodding her, we got a shock of our life. She replied that the video she saw is still lingering in her mind. She is getting sexual feelings and not getting proper sleep. We were at our wit's end and counseled her that it is a natural phase and she should concentrate more on studies. But, I feel that she is not able to divert her mind. Kindly guide us.

#

First of all, talk to her and try to find out why after five years she started remembering the video. I do not think that seeing a glimpse of video at 7 will be remembered at 12. If nothing significant found, then give her a non-specific explanation. You can tell her that its normal to see such videos, but after 18 or later age. It is a normal thing and she should not feel worried about that. If she has some guilty of seeing the video, then try to find out. Because at 7 years she was not aware of the nature of the video or even at 12 too. You can take her out for a short holiday and this will distract her mind.

|