Q. How to overcome sexual attraction towards my mother?

Answered by
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 01, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 26, 2019

Hi doctor,

I am a 22 years old male. I feel sexually attracted to my own mother. I had some mild feelings since childhood, but it became strong since teenage. I started feeling to be loved by mom as her son and sexually too. I sometimes feel guilty about it. But, I could not control myself. I saw my mother naked sometimes and this fed my lust towards her even more. I am getting dirty thoughts about her when I think about having love with her. I also watch porn especially incest. I want to express my love to her sexually. Please provide some way to overcome this. I am not under any medication. I am just trying to control myself mentally.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I can understand your problem.

Sexual feelings in an adult towards a female are considered as normal and acceptable. But, such feelings towards any female with blood relationship are not acceptable in any society and this result in significant blow to reputation and respect. The feelings you have described towards your own mother are wrong and should be controlled. In future this might result in relationship problem in your case especially towards your wife. This might result in difficulty in maintaining relationship with any other female. To overcome the problem you have to work hard. One thing is that stop watching porn completely. If that is not possible at this moment then watch videos only and avoid going to forums or reading stories of incest online. Such things increase the perversions.

Avoid watching any material that relates to incest. I am not saying that you should stop masturbating but stop thinking about incest. You are having guilty after incest ideas, so most likely these are intrusive ideas and should be treated also. If possible visit a psychiatrist for help. Medicines like Paroxetine or Fluoxetine can help to control your intrusive ideas and you will feel better. These are safe medicines. Spend your time in outdoor activities. Gym and sports will help to vent out your energy and you will feel better. Avoid spending more time on computer and if your work permits then stop using computer or internet for some days. This will help you to overcome the addiction.

The Probable causes:

Psychological conflicts.

Regarding follow up:

For further information consult a psychiatrist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Hi doctor,

Thanks a lot. You are completely right. You told me the same causes and treatment I thought them to be. I have another problem of overthinking. I live my life according to some morals and rules I have developed, which I know are very good. But, whenever something happens which annoys me I get completely obsessed with that problem and get very uncomfortable. I cannot think of any other thing till that problem gets solved. This problem of overthinking or obsession annoys me even over trivial issues. What should I do about it? I somehow try to keep myself under control, as I am a very religious and moral person. Sometimes I think so much over a problem and I get completely exhausted and headache starts. What should I do?



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • The sexual symptoms are also related to these complaints of overthinking only.
  • Overthinking is there due to intrusive thoughts which are bothering your mind. All these symptoms are related to obsessive compulsive symptoms and need proper evaluation.
  • These thoughts are producing distress and you are aware of the fact that these are baseless. You know that there is no need to think excessively but still these are persisting. This means that you have obsessive compulsive thought process.
  • The medicines I have mentioned like SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) especially Paroxetine or Fluoxetine can help to overcome these thoughts. These medicines will help to control intrusive thoughts and you will feel better.
  • Please consider consulting a psychiatrist in person for physical evaluation and you will surely see improvement. Thanks.

For further doubts consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
As I am gaining weight with Paroxetine and Mirtazapine, shall I opt Zoloft?

Other SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) like Fluoxetine or Escitalopram can be tried instead of Paroxetine ... How should I switch to SSRIs ...   Read full

Can my OCD get cured with lower dose of medicine?

My mother is suffering from schizophrenia and is on 1 mg Risperidone ... My mother has chronic schizophrenia, for which she is having medicines for last 15 years after the death of my father...   Read full

I am getting angry by remembering old incidents. Should I see a psychiatrist?

.. for your query. The thoughts seem quite repetitive and not in your control from what you are saying. Something that happened could have triggered it. Also, you seem quite disturbed about it, and it is affecting your driving. In my opinion, it i...   Read full


This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Why is my son put on Paroxetine in spite of having bad withdrawals previously?

Query: Hello doctor, My 28 year old son is being treated for bipolar disorder and depression. He has been on and off antidepressants since he was 16 years old due to high anxiety issues. He just started with 50 mg Serquiler one to two tablets at night, 600 mg Gabapentin thrice a day, 20 mg Paxil once a day...  Read Full »

Can psychotherapy treat OCD?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from OCD (Obsessive–compulsive disorder). How can it be treated by psychotherapy?  Read Full »

Why do I think too hard to pronounce people's names in my mind?

Query: Hi doctor, I suffer from derealization and Asperger's syndrome, and I accidentally think too hard about how to pronounce people's names. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I really want to fix whatever it is I just accidentally did. But there is nothing I can do. Every possible solution interferes w...  Read Full »

Also Read

Sinusitis - Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Sinusitis is the infection of the air cavities within the nasal passages. Normally, the healthy sinuses are filled with ...  Read more»
Asthma and Its Rising Incidence
This article explains about asthma and its causes. It also focuses on the benefits of starting early treatment to lead a...  Read more»
Parkinson's Disease: Historical Aspects and Current Treatment Approaches
This article discusses the historical aspects of Parkinsonism and, the evidence based approaches currently available for...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychiatrist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.