Q. I had unprotected sex and got ulcer in scrotum and mouth. Will it be herpes?

Dr. Muhammad Majid Hanif
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 04, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am having 101 degree fever daily for past four nights. Two days back, I got some white spots on my scrotum and lots of ulcer in my mouth. I am not sure whether the white spots are ulcers or not, but they do not pain or itch. The fever is intermittent, mostly during evening or night. I do not have any running nose or loose motion. I am starting to get a sore throat. I have very mild night sweats and chills. I did not take any antibiotic yet. But three tablets of Paracetamol (650 mg) daily since last four days. I do not have any photosensitivity or joint pain. My skin is pretty oily and I have acne in my face. Please let me know your suggestion.

#

I assure you not to worry as everything is going to be fine if proper care and treatment is opted in for. I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine health concerns.

The scrotal issues are due to the dryness of the skin and skin hair follicle infection. There is hyperkeratosis on the scrotal skin. All of these issues develop due to unhygienic urogenital habit and unhygienic skin condition of the areas of the external genitalia. No need to worry as I am suggesting very effective remedies for you to get better in a short period.
The mouth sores are due to throat infection and it looks like a mixture of bacterial and viral infection. So, you need to start the treatment immediately.

For genital skin issues:-
1. The most important medical remedy for you is to shave the area completely including scrotum, pubic area, and the groins with a blade. Make it a habit to do undershave (armpits and the genital area) before the hair grow very tiny.
2. Keep the area clean and dry and apply Hydrozole (combination of Hydrocortisone and Clotrimazole) cream on the whole of the genital area including scrotum.
3. You should take a prescription for Amoxicillin. Keep taking Paracetamol every 8 hourly until you no more have fever.
4. Apply some gel like Orajel (Benzocaine) on the mouth ulcers and stay for 5 minutes. Then rinse with tap water.
5. Do gargles with Scope mouthwash. Take plenty of water and proper rest.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thank you very much. My biggest worry is about herpes. Do I have that?

#

You have not provided any sexual history in the previous query. But I need little more information to complete the history. So that I can give you more detailed insight on the worries as you right now have doubt regarding herpes.

Please do answer some personal questions as these are necessary for helping you in the best possible way.

1. Are you sexually active at present? How many sexual partners you have until now?
  2. Did you engage in unprotected sex? If so, when it was?
  3. Do you have any enlarged lymph nodes?

Required investigation is TORCH (toxoplasmosis, rubella, cytomegalovirus, herpes simplex and HIV) panel testing including HSV DNA by PCR.

If you have a sexual history and there is a suspicion, you definitely need to test for the complete panel of the sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). At least once as a baseline every adult needs to get the test at this age for the STDs.

Upload picture of the mouth ulcer and of your lips to get detailed diagnosis.

Revert back with the photos of ulcer to an internal medicine physicians online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

had unprotected sex with a girl three months ago. I do not think my lymph nodes are swollen. Please find attached photo of my lips and ulcers.

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com. I appreciate the effort you put in to send me the required details. It is a good gesture towards good health and seriousness to get better soon. I have very carefully and thoroughly gone through all the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and have evaluated them clinically.

From all the accumulated data I have got from you till now regarding the case,
1. It is not looking to be due to herpes. You seem to have non-STD infection and skin issues at scrotum as aforementioned.
2. But when I look at your sexual history, it makes it mandatory for you to get tested as suspicion is always there in such cases. The best way is to get tested once for all to at least keep a baseline result showing that till date were you clear of STDs or not.
3. So, I preferably suggest you to start the treatment as prescribed and meanwhile go for the test.
4. Until you get the result, follow the treatment as I said and see you get any relief or not. If the scrotal skin will still be problematic, then you have to upload the new pictures of the scrotal skin and if needed I will change the medicine for you.

When you get the laboratory test reports, upload the scanned copy of that. Please do not just write down the results. Send the original reports for proper and expert evaluation.

Keep an eye on the scrotum lesions. If they feel to be increasing, that means there is an outbreak of the disease, then you need to make an instant picture and send it to me.

Revert back with the laboratory reports to an internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|