Q. May I know the set of tests to be done for gonorrhea and chlamydia?

Dr. Muhammad Majid Hanif
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 15, 2015 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020

Please explain the laboratory tests to be taken for gonorrhea and chlamydia. Is there any test other than urine and throat swab test? If I go for testing what should I ask? How much will it cost?

#

I want to assure you not to worry as everything is going to be fine if proper care and treatment is opted in for. I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine health concerns.

Both gonorrhea and chlamydia are sexually transmitted diseases and are screened in a suspected patient through few tests which are,

1. Urine tests for both chlamydia and gonorrhea.
2. Swab test from the inner side of the urethra for both diseases and also from the throat in case where there is suspected throat infection.

Other than the two, serum IgG and IgM antibody test can also be tested for chlamydia. From the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) I got to know that you are IgG positive. So, consult a doctor for physical evaluation.

For the price of the test, call the front desk of the laboratory you want to choose, and ask for the same.

I preferably write down the name of the tests for you as:
Nucleic Acid Amplification Testing (NAAT) for chlamydia and gonorrhea.

Specimens collected are,
1. Urine sample.
2. Swab from inside the urethra.
3. Swab from the rectum.
4. Swab from the throat.

Results will be available within 72 hours depending on the laboratory selected for testing. It is a DNA test and very accurate for testing dead or alive pathogens.

Depending on your NAAT test report, I will guide you with next management plan.

Revert back with your laboratory test reports to an internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|