Q. May I know the set of tests to be done for gonorrhea and chlamydia?

Answered by
Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 15, 2015 and last reviewed on: Aug 29, 2019

Hi doctor,

Please explain the laboratory tests to be taken for gonorrhea and chlamydia. Is there any test other than urine and throat swab test? If I go for testing what should I ask? How much will it cost?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiology Critical Care Physician General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I want to assure you not to worry as everything is going to be fine if proper care and treatment is opted in for. I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine health concerns.

The Probable causes:

Both gonorrhea and chlamydia are sexually transmitted diseases and are screened in a suspected patient through few tests which are,

1. Urine tests for both chlamydia and gonorrhea.
2. Swab test from the inner side of the urethra for both diseases and also from the throat in case where there is suspected throat infection.

Other than the two, serum IgG and IgM antibody test can also be tested for chlamydia. From the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) I got to know that you are IgG positive. So, consult a doctor for physical evaluation.

For the price of the test, call the front desk of the laboratory you want to choose, and ask for the same.

Investigations to be done:

I preferably write down the name of the tests for you as:
Nucleic Acid Amplification Testing (NAAT) for chlamydia and gonorrhea.

Specimens collected are,
1. Urine sample.
2. Swab from inside the urethra.
3. Swab from the rectum.
4. Swab from the throat.

Results will be available within 72 hours depending on the laboratory selected for testing. It is a DNA test and very accurate for testing dead or alive pathogens.

Treatment plan:

Depending on your NAAT test report, I will guide you with next management plan.

Regarding follow up:

Revert back with your laboratory test reports to an internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I have chest pains and a swollen lymph node under my jaw. What can it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I have irregular heartbeats, chest pain, and pain under the ribs on both the sides. It is not exactly like pain, but more of a discomfort. Sometimes, I get a short stabbing pain either on the left or the right side under my ribs, and it also feels something is moving or gets squeezed ...  Read Full »

If routine and culture urine tests are normal, is chlamydia and gonorrhea test necessary?

Query: Hello doctor, If a persons routine and culture urine test is normal, does he have to do separate tests for chlamydia and gonorrhea? The patient has headaches and sleepiness throughout the day and burning sensation in urine at times.  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.