Q. How can severe shoulder pain be treated?

Dr. Upendra K Shah
This is a premium question & answer published on May 20, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 02, 2020

Approximately 4 months ago, some mild pain started in my right shoulder joint but i have not taken it seriously. It started bothering me since end of February and it was slowly worsening. I daily travel by crowded trains, approximately 25 km to my workplace and back. By middle of March, while travelling (by standing) in train holding overhead handles my shoulder was hurting with every push from the crowds at various stations. During day time, there was not much pain I felt, but in the night, my sleep was disrupted frequently with pain (like pulling with a hook) on the shoulder. I applied "DYNAPAR QPS" (Diclofenac Diethylamine and absolute Alchohol Non-Aqueous Topical Solution). My mother was using it for joint pains and she asked me to try it but I got no relief with it. Then my cousin practicing Homeo medicine advised me some Homeo medicines and it provided only a slight relief.

In the 1st week of April, I consulted an Orthopedic (Joint pain/bone specialist) and had taken X-ray of my right hand in 2 different positions. He suggested it is due to frozen shoulder problem and advised rotation of hands, shoulders, neck, etc., along with some medicines (mainly pain killers and anti-acidity medicine). Even after taking it for 25 days, still I am having pain, mainly in the inside bend of the right-elbow. If I raise my hands straight, it hurts very little, but if I bend it to comb my hair or putting my hands through the sleeve of my shirt it hurts very badly. During day time, the pain is very minor but in the night after the sleep of an hour, it starts paining badly. What I assessed is, while the weight of the upper body rests on the shoulder or around the area (including back side) while lying down, the pain radiates from this region and it hurts mainly the shoulder joint, forearm muscles, elbow joint and the wrist. After trying various positions to rest the hand and shoulder with pillows/soft towels, the pain eases little and I fall asleep again. This repeats throughout the night.

I use Laptop extensively at work and at home also. Sometimes I feel a pulling pain in the wrist when I use the mouse more, but no problem with key board. Now I am working from home due to Covid19 lockdown, but afterwards, I may have to travel again by train and I am scared of the pain I will have to suffer.

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

#

It seems to be frozen shoulder, as told by orthopaedic earlier. Primary treatment of frozen shoulder is physiotherapy. Pain killer and muscle relaxants are given temporarily, start on tablet Neorelax MR 8 (Aceclofenace + Thiocolchicoside) two times a day for 5 days along with anti-acid tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg before breakfast for 5 days, stop remaining medicines.

After 3 to 4 days start physiotherapy of shoulder, you may consult physiotherapist, he may suggest better physiotherapy excercise. Diabetes has to be ruled out, please check FBS and PPBS for sugar. If not relieved with above then get an ultrasound of that shoulder done.

| 

I have neck and shoulder pain that go away when I lie down. Any suggestions?

Query: Hello doctor,I complained of neck and shoulder pain. It was diagnosed to be muscle spasm by a doctor. X-ray has been taken. I was given cream and Muscadol tablets. I used ice and some exercise. It worked over 90 % but the problem is I feel pain after sitting on a chair for 10 minutes continually. It...  Read Full »

What is the solution for shoulder pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I am experiencing pain on my right shoulder for a couple of weeks. I have the pain only when I move. When I raise my hands up and throwing anything overhead, I have the pain. The pain is at the front of my shoulder, and I can put the finger on the spot that is sore. I am taking Paracetam...  Read Full »

What is the remedy for shoulder pain in a thyroid patient?

Query: Hello doctor,My wife is suffering from left shoulder pain since last six months specifically in the morning. Please suggest the remedy soon. She is a thyroid patient and currently on Thyroxin 75 mg. The laboratory test performed was for uric acid measuring 4.6 mg/dl.  Read Full »