Q. What effects will binge drinking have on my unborn child?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

Hello,I am now 5 weeks 3 days pregnant. I was excessively binge drinking for the past 4 months. I stopped at 4 weeks of pregnancy with my missed period. I am very scared about the effects this will have on my unborn child.

Dr. Reetika Joshi

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
# Hi dear

good evening

see don't get stressed out

it's fine

now that you have realised that you are pregnant, you have stopped

that's really very very good step

although I agree with you that drinking while Pregnancy is not good for the foetus but you were not aware and you stopped once you got to know

so stop feeling guilty and start staying happy

there are multiple types of scans and marker tests at various stages of pregnancy which reveal of there are any likely complexities in the unborn child

so don't worry

I am always there for you

it's fine

| 
What kind of markers and tests are there before 1st trimester ends to check if there are any issues?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
# hmm...I fully understand your concern

will surely help you

but firstly as I can sense from your chat is that you are feeling guilty for having consumed alcohol

don't feel so

you will unnecessarily get into stress and that's not good for you at this time

stay happy you must stay happy for the health of your baby

as far as various indicators and tests which can help you with the health of baby are concerned I will surely help you with this

| 
Thanks please let me know about the tests and indicators

Dr. Reetika Joshi

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
# Consumption of alcohol while pregnant can effect fetal health.
it's good you have stopped at 4 weeks.
In early pregnancy alcohol consumption can result in miscarriage.
During first trimester , you will have scan at 6-7 weeks for fetal heart beat.
then between 11-14 weeks, Double marker and NT scan.
These will tell about any abnormalities in fetus.
I hope you don't start drinking again because it can adversely affect fetal growth and baby also develops alcohol withdrawal syndrome after delivery.
Take care and definitely avoid alcohol.

|