Q. I am on antidepressants. Will these medicines have any adverse effect on my sex life?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

My age is 19 years. I am on antidepressant tablets like Paroxetine prolonged-release, Clonazepam, Mirtazapine, and Dosulepin. I have a problem with erection and do not have a sex drive. Will these medicines have any adverse effects on my sex life? What should I do?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

You are on three different types of antidepressants - Paroxetine, Mirtazapine, and Dosulepin. Clonazepam is meant for short term use.

Is your depression better after having these medicines? What is the duration of your medication? Do you experience any other side effects apart from sexual side effects?

Mirtazapine is the antidepressant that is least likely to cause any sexual side effects. So it can be continued until your depression is better. Consult with your doctor about gradually weaning off Paroxetine and Dosulepin while monitoring your health. Also, Clonazepam should be gradually weaned off, if using for more than a month.

Added to that, seek counseling. Take healthy foods and do regular exercise; it will be helpful.

|