Q. Is it safe to drop down Mirtazapine and Xanor at the same time?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 21, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2019

I was taking 30 mg Mirtazapine for 10 weeks before being told by the doctor to take 45 mg three weeks ago. I have now been told to drop it back to 30 mg a day. I also have been taking Xanor 0.25 mg for past six months. For the first two weeks, I took two tablets a day then was told to increase to three tablets a day which I did for two weeks. Now the doctor says to drop down to 1.5 tablets a day (in two daily doses). My question is that is it smart or safe to drop both of these medications down at the same time? I have had bad insomnia with anxiety. Was given Melatonin 2 mg yesterday to take at night.

#

If he is asking to reduce the doses, then no need to get worried. Mirtazapine has different actions and is a different drug than Xanor (Alprazolam). No need to get worried about that. Even Mirtazapine is a unique drug which has great effects on sleep at 15 to 30 mg doses compared to high doses. So reducing the doses of both drugs simultaneously will not cause any serious effects on you. A slight reduction of sleep due to reduced doses of Xanor will be compensated by melatonin. Melatonin is a drug that has no abuse potential and is safer than Xanor.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

| 

How to reduce the dosage of Xanax gradually?

Query: Hello doctor, I am taking tablet Alprazolam 5mg (three tablets, a total of 1.5mg) at bedtime. I do not take any Alprazolam or any other benzodiazepines during the day. Also, I started taking Alprazolam about 6-8 months ago. Originally this was for a short period of insomnia due to a life situation w...  Read Full »

What is the best method to taper Alprazolam dosage?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 60 year old female in not too bad health. I have been on 0.25 mg of Xanax in the morning, and 0.50 mg of Xanax at bedtime, since the last three months. Now it is time to come off it. Also, I take 50 mg Pristiq in the morning. My doctor wants to change my Xanax schedule to 0.25...  Read Full »

Can Xarelto increase AST and ALT?

Query: Hi doctor, I am taking Xarelto 20 mg daily for DVT from the past four weeks. My blood work shows increased AST, which is double than normal, and ALT, which is triple than normal. Should I take today's dose? I take a lot of medicines for different health conditions. I have attached the photo of my pr...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»