Q. Is it safe to drop down Mirtazapine and Xanor at the same time?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 21, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2019

I was taking 30 mg Mirtazapine for 10 weeks before being told by the doctor to take 45 mg three weeks ago. I have now been told to drop it back to 30 mg a day. I also have been taking Xanor 0.25 mg for past six months. For the first two weeks, I took two tablets a day then was told to increase to three tablets a day which I did for two weeks. Now the doctor says to drop down to 1.5 tablets a day (in two daily doses). My question is that is it smart or safe to drop both of these medications down at the same time? I have had bad insomnia with anxiety. Was given Melatonin 2 mg yesterday to take at night.

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

If he is asking to reduce the doses, then no need to get worried. Mirtazapine has different actions and is a different drug than Xanor (Alprazolam). No need to get worried about that. Even Mirtazapine is a unique drug which has great effects on sleep at 15 to 30 mg doses compared to high doses. So reducing the doses of both drugs simultaneously will not cause any serious effects on you. A slight reduction of sleep due to reduced doses of Xanor will be compensated by melatonin. Melatonin is a drug that has no abuse potential and is safer than Xanor.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|