Q. What does noncoronary sinus of valsalva prominent in CT scan mean?

I have had a CT scan with contrast and they found this: The noncoronary sinus of valsalva is prominent. At this level, in the coronal plane, the aortic root measures 4.0 cm in diameter. What does this mean and should I do anything about it? I am 37 years old male, exercise a lot. Resting pulse is 45. My father died in the late 40s of heart disease.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

Your aortic root is mildly dilated. If you do not have any other systemic diseases like any diagnosed syndrome like Marfans or Ehler Danlos etc., then this needs no treatment at present, but just observation. At this borderline dimensions, we just observe the patients and if it increases more than 50 to 55, then needs surgery. However, if it is genetic, then surgery is done at lesser dimensions.

So, you will need regular follow up and 1 to 2 yearly CT scan to keep watch over the dimensions of the aorta. This could be done with echo as well. You should also have an echo if you did not have any. You should get yourself examined by a local doctor once to rule out syndromes. Also, mild to moderate exercises, avoid heavy activities like lifting heavy weights, etc. Avoid all addictions, if any. Low pulse rate is probably related to activities. Do you have any details about your father? You should try to search and if available will help in prophylactic measures.

|