Q. I have sinusitis for the past 6 months and no medication helped me. Why?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar
This is a premium question & answer published on May 02, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 15, 2020

I am suffering from sinusitis for the last six months. I have tried lots of medicines but there is no improvement. Because of the current scenario of COVID-19, I cannot visit any ENT specialist. Please help me and prescribe some medicines.

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Yes, I understand how frustrating your problem can be.

Sinusitis is usually secondary to a certain problem such as allergy (which is the most common cause, once other rare causes are ruled out). So considering the treatment of this particular issue, we need to always treat the primary from its root source so that the effect remains for a longer time with the least amount of medications.

What can be done?

If you are having underlying allergic issues such as sneezing, watery nasal discharge, ear fullness, heaviness in the head, and facial regions, we need to treat the allergy first. You need to wear an n95 mask (and nothing else other than that) to prevent any irritative substance such as dust, fumes from entering your nose, and initiating the allergic cascade mechanism leading to its symptoms. Wearing a mask even at home, avoiding exposure to dust and other substances which instigate sneezing according to me is the single most important factor which you have to take care of as other things mentioned below are all for symptomatic relief and we are not treating the allergy as such, precisely speaking.

Take tablet Sinarest (Acetaminophen, Chlorpheniramine, and Pseudoephedrine) one tablet two times a day after food for 10 days, Allegra-M (Fexofenadine and Montelukast) one tablet two twice for 10 days, Duonase nasal spray two puffs in both nostrils twice daily for three continuous months (do not inhale while applying the spray), tablet Mucomix 600 mg one tablet twice daily for 10 days.

Do steam inhalation two or three times a day for supportive relief. Take Wysolone 10 mg once a day after breakfast for 10 days, tablet Pan D (Pantoprazole) one tablet before breakfast for 10days, Clarithromycin 500 mg twice daily for one month. Saltwater gargles 8 to 10 times a day will keep irritative substances away from the throat.

All these medications will be useful only if you strictly follow the precautionary measures. The requirement of medications will automatically reduce once your symptoms come down with a decreased allergic load.

Please do get a noncontrast CT (computed tomography) of the nose and paranasal sinuses and show it to me once you get it done in the subsequent follow-ups.

I advise you for a follow up after two weeks of treatment, so I can evaluate and let you know about the further requirement of medications.

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

My allergy does not subside with 10 mg Cetirizine. Should I take 20 mg?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been taking 10 mg Singulair and 10 mg Cetirizine for five years for allergies, asthma, and Lyme. I just got two more kittens, and the medicines do not work anymore. I am miserable and desperate. I asked my doctor to give me 20 mg of Cetirizine and something else because I think ...  Read Full »

How to prevent sinusitis, dry nose and shivering during winters?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a recurring ailment that I usually get once or twice per winter. It starts with extreme shivering and overheating, but no fever. Day two usually involves a very dry nose, very low energy, and heightened sensitivity to touch or light. Days 3 to 5 usually involve more traditional...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest an effective treatment for bad cold.

Query: Hello doctor,My wife is 28 years old. She is having a bad cold since last few days and having throat pain and discomfort. She has an ear pain because of continuously coughing and sneezing. Kindly let us know any further precautions and medications so that it can subside soon. She is currently having...  Read Full »