Q. I noticed rashes forming from groin area. What should I do?

Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 01, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 09, 2021

• I noticed rashes forming from groin and spreading up to stomach and chest area.
  • I have attached the reports and photos here, kindly go through it.
#

I have gone through your reports and photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity) in detail.

It appears to be due to scabies or fungal infection.

I would like to know the following details:

• What is your age?
  • What are all the symptoms that you have?
  • How long will it last?
  • Do you have any family related history?
  • Is there any previous history of travel?
  • Is it itching more at night time?
  • Have you done any treatment and investigations before?
  • Have you got any drug allergies?
  • Do you sweat more?
  • Do you experience any skin moisture increasing conditions?
  • Do you have these rashes in hands, wrists, web spaces, etc?

Revert back with these details to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

• I am a 48 year old white male.
  • It started about 3 weeks ago in groin area.
  • It has spread slowly up to stomach and chest, not anywhere else.
  • It seems to be itching more at night.
  • I never used to sweat more or less than normal.
  • No relevant family and travelling history.
  • I have taken Benadryl and applied Calamine lotion which has caused burning sensation, so I stopped it.
  • No history of drug allergy.
#

It is due to fungal infection.

Please wear loose cotton inner wears.

Avoid moisture.

See that there is adequate ventilation.

You can apply topical antifungal cream like Clotrimazole (Candid) cream or fungicidal cream like Terbinafine (sebifin) cream twice daily.

Take antihistamine like Cetirizine in morning and Atarax (Hydroxyzine Hydrochloride) 25 mg in night to relieve itching.

If it subsides, then it is a fungal infection.They are known for recurrence.

You can use antifungal dusting powders like Candid or abzorb powder to prevent recurrence.

If it does not subside consult a dermatologist for examination, scraping test, etc, for diagnosis and management.

Kindly follow up with a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|