Q. My 4 months old baby has red rashes over his neck and body. Please help.

Dr. Suvina Attavar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 10, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 13, 2021

My son has rashes all over his neck and body. His neck is very red and wet. I am attaching a photo of his rashes. The doctor said he has eczema, and he suggested to use Daktacort, Aveeno cream, and Flucloxacillin, but it is not helping. It is getting worse. Please help.

#

I have seen the attached photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• How old is your son? From when is he having these rashes? Was Flucloxacillin prescribed before the rashes occurred?
  • If your child is around a month and from the photos it looks like he has erythema toxicum neonatorum. This is a benign condition that commonly affects neonates and resolves on its own.
  • I would suggest you to stop using Daktacort (Miconazole and Hydrocortisone), as it could further irritate the skin. If the lesions do not resolve in a few days, it would be better to visit a pediatric dermatologist for a detailed examination.

Hope this answers your query. Take care.

Revert with more information to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Thank you for replying. He is 4 months old. I just gave him Flucloxacillin today, as the rash was getting very bad. His rashes come and disappear on and off for like a month.

#

Thanks for the follow-up details.

• This kind of rash usually waxes and wanes till 4 months of age. I would suggest you stop using Daktacort.
  • I suggest using a lotion containing Calamine and white soft paraffin. And as I said, if it does not resolve in a few days, do visit a pediatric dermatologist.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|