Q. Why does my skin rashes keep on coming back as I stop taking the steroids?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

I got bitten by sand fleas while I was abroad, about six weeks back. There is terrible itching and swelling in the bite marks. I did not understand that I got infected but some of the bite marks were taking a long time to heal. Now, I have a rash on both feet but they do not itch. I also have a recurring rash on my stomach, sides of the chest, and upper thighs which are itchy and have swelled up.

I had consulted a doctor earlier. He had prescribed steroid (Prednisolone) injections, a topical steroid, and an antifungal ointment. The rashes got a little better but then worsened again.

Please help me.

#

Thanks for your query. I can understand your concern.

I have gone through the images you have attached (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity) but there are the following things that I want to know:

1. Since how many days have you got fleas bite?
  2. Is there any known allergies?
  3. Have you ever taken any blood check-ups for allergies?

Please provide me with the answers to the above-asked questions so that I can guide you better about medicines and investigations.

Wish you good health.

Thanks.

I got the flea bites around six weeks back, right before leaving the place I had visited. I was in pool water, hot tub, etc just before I left for my country. By the time I got home, I had bumps on my buttocks, stomach, and chest. I had used antibacterial cream for them, had taken the tablet Ibuprofen and some steroid cream. The condition got better but it took a long time for the bumps to subside, and some of them are still present.

About three weeks later, I again had the rash all over my stomach and chest that was very itchy but not bumpy like before. It feels like the rash sits right beneath the skin. For some days it was fine but last week it again came back and turned itchy so I went urgently to the doctor. The doctor had prescribed Prednisone (Prednisolone) tablets, a Prednisone (Prednisolone) injection, and triamcinolone acetonide ointment for the spots. My condition had become much better.

My issue is that I do not know whether it is a fungal or bacterial infection, and when I have stopped taking the steroids the rashes have now come back again. They have been on and off for like eight weeks now. Now my feet have a rash that does not itch and some discoloration or swelling in the right ankle. I do not want an untreated infection to cause something worse to me. You can see in the pictures that my right ankle has a couple of bites that are still lingering and have not gone away.

#

Thanks for your follow-up query. I can understand your concern.

I have gone through the detailed history you have given.

I have seen the images you have attached (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity).

To me, this looks like urticaria or skin allergy.

It is better to start with the following treatment after consulting a local doctor:

1. Take the tablet Allegra-M (Fexofenadine and Montelukast) twice daily after meals.
  2. Apply Clindamycin cream (antibiotic) thrice daily.
  3. Apply Mometasone cream (steroid) twice daily.

I further want to know whether you have ever tried taking an oral anti-allergic medicine or not.

|