Q. I am concerned about my palpitations, skipping beats, fatigue, and stomach issues. Kindly help.

Dr. Vandana Patidar
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 11, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 03, 2020

I have been experiencing heart palpitations, skipping beats, fatigue, stomach issues, and muscle pains which have been unexplained for years now. I have severe health anxiety and I am constantly worrying I am on the verge of dying or have a serious medical problem. I have been to the hospital probably 100 times in the past five years and doctors ran several tests. They cannot find anything. I am at a loss, and even knowing that the doctors say I am normal, but I still worried. Can I get any advice or relief from this?

#

There are various neurotransmitters in the brain that control our mood, thoughts, and behavior. A response is generated by mind in the condition of fear, fight, and flight called sympathetic stimulation.

Sometimes without any external fear this system activates causing raised heart rate, difficulty in breathing, dizziness, trembling, chest tightness as if having heart attack. This is called anxiety disorder and this extreme anxiety attack is called panic attack. It would be advisable that you start an SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) class of drugs to balance these neurotransmitters in the brain. Once they are balanced, everything will be alright.

Have you consulted a psychiatrist for it?

Yes, I have consulted a psychiatrist. He puts me on a Benzodiazepine and Klonopin. I have expressed my health anxiety to him and to my counselor. They offered meditation and relaxation exercises which I have tried but does not seem to work too much.

#

In severe anxiety, sometimes meditation and relaxation exercises do not work adequately. So it would be better if you start on SSRIs like Escitalopram 10 mg and Sertraline 50 mg.

Request your GP to refer you to a psychiatrist because I think you need a prescription for it.

|