Q. Can sinus infection cause sore throat?

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

I consulted a doctor for my sore throat. She said it was a sinus infection and prescribed Z-pak and steroids. I have taken all the medicines, but my throat still hurts.

It has been like this for two weeks. I thought it as dry mouth and drank around 10 bottles of water a day. I have no other symptoms. Sometimes, my throat burns after I eat. I have tried taking antacids, but it did not help. Please help.

#

Yes, sinus infection can cause constant throat irritation due to post nasal drip formed by the sinus secretions. The constant drip can irritate and cause pain. Also, it can act as a source of throat infection.

If indeed sinus infection is the cause for the throat problem, then in addition to the Z-pak (Azithromycin, which is an antibiotic) you need some anti-inflammatory drugs and nasal decongestant drops too.

Anti-inflammatory drugs come by the name Inf-zyme forte, which has to be taken twice daily in an empty stomach and nasal decongestants come by the name Otrivin (Xylometazoline). Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

You must instill 2 drops of Otrivin in each nostril and lie supine with head low position. The drops decongest the sinus ostia and help remove pent up secretions from the sinuses. For a complete evaluation, we must take a throat swab culture and sensitivity and institute the right antibiotics as per the report.

A non-contrast CT scan of paranasal sinuses can confirm if there is any sinus inflammation. A diagnostic nasendoscopy can help confirm the same. Also, laryngoscopy can help establish any laryngopharyngeal reflux that is causing the throat pain and burning sensation. Meanwhile, an anesthetic gel like Mucaine gel can help relieve the burning sensation in the throat after meals.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|