Q. What could be causing resonance of ear and nose?

Dr. Ashok Kumar Srivastava
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 14, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have been having resonance in the ear and nose since three months now. It all started with a bad sinus attack. I got my IgE test done and the result shows level 1000. Also, I had an MRI. It showed some polyps in the maxillary sinus. I had also got an NCV test, which showed slight palsy in the right ear and that is the same ear with the resonance. I hear myself loudly. While talking through the nose, it seems to be reaching the ear. What could be causing this? I have attached all the reports.

#

I understand your concern.

Due to prolong and severe sinusitis, your eustachian tube got edematous. This in turn had developed negative pressure in the middle ear. This stage is named as eustachian catarrh.

In your case, this had progressed to secretary otitis media and you are getting echoes of spoken words and blocked ear.

For you, the treatment is as follows:

1. Steam inhalation.
  2. Antihistamine and decongestant.
  3. Steroids.
  4. Antibiotic (preferably) broad spectrum.

Probably, you will feel better with the above treatment. If not, then please consult your ENT specialist and ask for grommet insertion on your ear drum.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

I do not feel any blockage in the ear. There was some blockage a few months back, but it all went away with decongestants. Now, I have this loud feeling in the ear when I talk. I have also consulted few ENT specialists and was told by them that there is no blockage in the ear. What could be causing the resonance of ear and nose? Also, there is no hearing loss. Kindly advise.

#

I have gone through your clinical history and attached files (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

You are having neither blockade nor hearing loss, but there is remnant congestion in the middle ear mucosa and that is giving you the above symptoms.

Please follow the treatment adviced above and you will get a response.

|