Sound In The Ear

Why do I have a swooshing sound in my ear?

Query: Hi doctor, About once a week, I will wake up with a swooshing sound in my ear. When I change positions, it will go away. It never happens during the day. I just got diagnosed with anemia (mild). I have been under extreme stress. I am currently taking Prozac, Ativan, and Nexium.  Read Full »

Dr. Radhika Shukla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A swooshing sound or wind-like sound in the ear lasting for more than five minutes is called tinnitus. If less than five minutes, it is not significant. This particular sound you describe can be caused due to a dysfunctional eustachian tube, which is the tube connect...  Read Full »

Why do I get restless and have headaches due to loud noise in the ears?

Query: Pls I'm dying from a loud noise that erupts from the inner part of my ears which also affects my head and as a result i get restless always. It started six years back, and has become chronic now. I had similar issues where I had a chronic headache that lasted for sometimes before it stopped. It comp...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi! Thanks for providing a brief history. The most common reason for this could be due to migraine. It is extremely important for you to understand the triggering cause of the migraine which has led to ringing sounds arising from the inner ear. There are numerous medications out there in the market,...  Read Full »

Does muffled hearing result from listening to loud music using earbuds?

Query: Hi Doctor, Im 16 years old and for the past month, I’ve been experiencing tinnitus in my left ear. For some background, I also experienced tinnitus for about 2 weeks a few months back. When it started, I was listening to music louder than I should have during a good part (about 80%) and I fel...  Read Full »

Dr. Satyabrata Panigrahi

Audiologist, Speech Therapist

Answer: Hi Icliniq user , Atleast am happy that you are now not crossing the warning sign while listening to music. Step-1. Don't use earphones for taking calls and music , use it in speaker mode and at moderate volume. Step-2 . Sometimes Puretone Audiometry (hearing test) doesn't reveal the intial...  Read Full »

How to treat chronic cough, blocked ears and popping sound in ears while swallowing?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 66-year-old male with a weight of 90 kg and a height of 175 cms. For the last four months, I am continuously facing the following problems. Moderate sore throat, feeling like a lump in my deep throat, gastric reflux, poor digestion, a feeling of air blocked in both the ears an...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Can you take a picture of the back of the throat, showing details of the affected area and send it to us? Which area do you live in? Do you drive a two-wheeler on the roads of Delhi? Did this worsen during the Diwali season? Do you smoke or drink?  Read Full »

I hear some sound when I stay in a silent environment. Is it tinnitus?

Query: Hello doctor, When we are in silence, we always hear some sound. I know we are not in a vacuum, so some external sound will always be audible house noises, etc.? Hope this is not tinnitus. Even sensory deprivation of ear causes body noises and hallucinations, read in places that are created as 0 dB...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is not tinnitus. Tinnitus would be heard easily, trouble you, and you would not have to search for it specifically. Tinnitus would be heard even in an environment with some sound not sufficient to mask tinnitus. It may interfere with your daily activities. And y...  Read Full »

I have frequent pains at the forehead and loud whistle sound in ears. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 33-year-old male with 5.8" height and 72 kg weight. Symptoms are frequent pain starts at the forehead, following complete headache, loud whistle sound in ears, lower listening when the headache is high, and nausea. This is for the past three months, and now, frequency has increas...  Read Full »

Dr. Albana Greca

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The headache you are experiencing could be due to possible, 1. Sinusitis (starting at the forehead) to rule it out you should get an X-ray of sinuses. 2. Bad teeth, get them checked by your dentist. 3. Eye problems, get checked by an eye specialist. 4. For high b...  Read Full »

How to get rid of autophony?

Query: Dear doctor, I am a 19 year old male. From the last three years, I have been facing the symptoms of Patulous Eustachian Tube with the eustachian tubes partially open few times in a day. My own voice becomes distorted and sounds like it is coming from a vacuum. Breath sounds are enhanced and swallo...  Read Full »

Dr. Vikram Vel

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I feel a naso and otoendoscopy is first necessary to confirm the diagnosis. The condition is not dangerous unless it leads to some middle ear problem. If you can manage by doing a manoeuvre like how you described, it might help in symptom control and you may not need ...  Read Full »

I have ear pain after using headphones. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, Yesterday I used earphones which fit directly into ears for a very long-time. Today I am having extreme unbearable pain in back of head and ears. I have stopped using earphones now. Is there a fast fix for this unbearable back head pain? Can I take Disprin (I never take painkillers)? I us...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. My understanding and inference is that the pain is not related to the earphones or sound level. This is because of loud noise which usually produces classical symptoms like giddiness, ringing sound in ear, hearing loss, intolerance to loud sounds and some pain in ear. Y...  Read Full »

I took Neomycin for ringing sounds in the ear but still the problem persists. Please help.

Query: Dear doctor, I am hearing ringing sounds in the ear. It is three weeks now. I consulted a doctor and he said that everything looks normal but gave me Neomycin and I still have the ringing.  Read Full »

Dr. Vaishali Mehta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern regarding ringing sounds in the ear or tinnitus. This can occur due to varied reasons like: Oldage. Noise exposure. Blood pressure medicines. Local diseases in the ear. It can occur without a known cause too. I would advise you to ge...  Read Full »

Why do I hear low sound from my ears? Is it normal to hear it?

Query: Hi doctor, Sometimes when I concentrate in a silent room, I can hear a low sound from my ears. I went for a checkup, and there was nothing wrong in my ear. The doctor told me that the sound occurred because of hair cells and said to me that it is normal. What is hair cells? Is it normal to notice i...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hair cells are hearing cells inside the inner ears provided with cilia, and when vibrated, it stimulates auditory impulses. Yes, these cells have a unique sound, and it will not be audible to us. It needs a high technology device to pick it. Tinnitus has a lot of causes...  Read Full »