Q. How long will it take for a middle ear infection to get cured?

Dr. Fazil Shajahan
Published on Dec 01, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 06, 2019

My 3 years and 8 month old kid has a middle ear infection from the past ten days. The doctor prescribed an antibiotic, but it is not cured. How long can I wait for it to get cured?

Dr. Fazil Shajahan

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• From the reports you have uploaded (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it seems that your child has an acute middle ear infection which is very common in kids until the age of six years. It usually happens following a cold or upper respiratory tract infection.
  • Depending on the severity of the infection, it can take two weeks or so to resolve.
  • I would also like to know whether the child is having ear discharge.
  • Sometimes she might need antibiotic injections along with decongestant drops like Xylometazoline and steam inhalation if it is not subsiding. And you should be careful that water does not enter the infected ear.
  • If the infection is still persisting and there is pus in the middle ear, then we can go for myringotomy in which we make a small opening in the eardrum and drain the pus.

Hope it clears your doubt. Feel free to ask in case of doubts.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

The doctor gave Taxim-O for three days and a nasal spray and Alex syrup and Allegra syrup. There is water behind her ears for which we were asked to wait one more week. There is no discharge from the ears. How long can I wait for it to settle?

Dr. Fazil Shajahan

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• Usually, Taxim-O (Cefixime) is given for five days if needed.
  • If your child is not having pain or blocking sensation in the ear, you can wait as it will take almost two weeks or so to resolve fully.
  • In the meanwhile, she should not have other infections of the upper respiratory tract as it can aggravate it.
  • Nasal drops are not to be used for more than five to seven days and other syrups also are to be taken for five days.
  • Strictly ensure that water does not enter the ear.

| 

At which stage should we keep the ventilation tube? Is there a hearing problem while placing the tubes? For the past 15 days, she is taking antibiotics.

Dr. Fazil Shajahan

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• It depends on the symptom your child is having ear pain or blocking sensation. The audiometry report you uploaded is showing a type-B curve. It means that there is fluid in the middle ear which is common in case of an infection in the ear.
  • If there is no persisting infection, you can wait and watch if it is resolving with medication in two or three weeks. But, if your child is having a bulge in the eardrum and infection is persisting with increasing symptoms then myringotomy (making an opening in the eardrum) is advised.
  • And in one more scenario, if the fluid in behind the ear is long-standing and is causing significant problems to the child then also ventilation tube can be opted for.
  • In my opinion, it is just an ear infection of 15 days where the infection will come down. You can wait for one or two weeks and repeat the impedance audiometry and then decide on the ventilation tube insertion.

| 

Thank you doctor.

Dr. Fazil Shajahan

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• Amoxicillin is an antibiotic which can cause allergic reactions commonly. But, after stopping the drug, if your child is getting a persisting rash it is not most likely due to Amoxicillin.
  • Either you have to look for another drug as the cause of the reaction or your child could be having a fever that can be a cause of the rash.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

I am attaching a picture of the skin rash. Can you judge this?

Dr. Fazil Shajahan

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I have gone through the image.

• If this rash is persisting even after the antibiotic has stopped, it is always better to take a pediatric opinion in person. It is difficult to diagnose a rash from pictures and we need to see associated signs.

| 

It comes and goes and is not present all the time.

Dr. Fazil Shajahan

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• It can be a simple allergic reaction to anything around. But, to be sure you need to consult a pediatrician or a dermatologist.

For further queries consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

Why does my 7-year-old have breathing difficulty, cough and throat pain?

Query: Hi doctor, My 7 year old daughter has difficulty in breathing. Sometimes, she also makes noise while breathing. She has frequent cough and pain in the throat. The doctor advised a few medications. There was a little relief after two days. After exemption of medicine, the breathing difficulty, cough...  Read Full »

I have serious sleep paralysis with shortness of breath. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having serious sleep paralysis. In it I feel like I can move my muscle a bit like slightly moving my finger or speaking short words like "maa". But I think I am hallucinating that too. Plus I am having acute bronchitis in this case and have to breathe through the mouth. So I have...  Read Full »

What is the cause of ear pain with cold and cough?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 21 year old male, and I have pain in the ear from today afternoon. I do not have any liquid discharge from the ear, but the pain is increasing with passing time. At night, the pain is very intense.I can hear all voices clearly, but my ear is paining a lot. I do not understand the r...  Read Full »