Q. Should I get Invisalign or retainer to correct space between my teeth?

Dr. Prerna Jain
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 08, 2020

I got braces off five years ago and hardly wore my retainer. I have a permanent retainer on two of my front teeth. Now, I have horrible overjet, spacing between canines and two front teeth and crowding on the bottom. Will I need braces? Or can I get Invisalign or even a better retainer? The reason I say a retainer is because before I got my braces, they put me on a retainer to see if that would fix my problem. However, I never wore it as I was in middle school. So, permanent braces were the alternative.

#

• There seems to have been a significant relapse of orthodontic treatment in the post treatment phase, which is not possible to solve though retainers alone (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • Retainers are passive and cannot provide much of tooth movement by activation. Very minor change can happen with that. Also, you will have to keep getting new ones.
  • However, it seems that the problem can be solved by Invisalign (invisible plastic aligner tray) to a large extent.
  • Overjet is significant. Thus, the best option is to visit your nearest orthodontist certified with Invisalign and ask for the same.
  • They can take proper pictures and measurements and show you what changes are possible with Invisalign.

Advised retreatment with Invisalign or braces.

For further information consult an orthodontist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthodontist

|