Q. Can I use Crest whitening strips if I have a permanent retainer?

Dr. Divya Banu M

Can I use Crest whitening strips if I have a permanent retainer?

#

The strips will whiten only the portion of the tooth that it comes in contact with. If it is a fixed retainer, then you can use it on the front surface, but do not let the chemical touch your inner surfaces of teeth. I will prefer not using it in such a case, as there will be a difference of color in your outer (front) and back (inner) surfaces of teeth.

If it is removable, you can. Make sure you remove all the excess material from the mouth and teeth before putting the retainer back on. If your teeth are sensitive, then it might ache a little while placing back the retainers.

I would recommend you not to whiten teeth regularly as it can weaken your teeth and cause sensitivity in the long run. You can also ask your dentist regarding tray and gel method, for at-home whitening methods.

Take care.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

| 

I need a second opinion about my orthodontic treatment.

Query: Hi doctor, I am currently having Damon braces for almost a year. I have attached a picture. What do you think about my teeth position, especially, my canine? I think it looks weird. What should be done by my dentist to make it look right?  Read Full »

Can I have braces five years after teeth whitening?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to ask you that, can I have braces because five years back I had teeth whitening due to which I have many cracks in my teeth. So can I put braces or will it worsen it?  Read Full »

I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) - Causes, Symptoms, Mortality Rate, and Treatment
Bird flu or avian influenza is a viral infection that spreads among birds and can affect humans rarely. Read the article...  Read more»