Q. My 3 years and 9 months old son does not answer a few of our questions. Is it a problem?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
My son is 3 and 9 months old. We are not in our home town. At the place where we live they speak a different language. So as to connect him with a common language we speak in English. Initially he struggled but now he is able to understand English very well. He even speak in English very well. To few questions we ask he doesn't answer properly. Like if we ask him " what is your name daddy nd mother's name he answers perfect" . If we ask him " how are you sometime he answer but sometime he just repeat how are you". He has good eye contact. He has good social skills. Even if iam sad or sitting alone he wil come to me ask" what happened mommy ? Do u have fever? ". In the beginning when he started to teach him talking if we ask him to say hi even he will say say hi. But nw if we ask him to say hi he will just say hi. If he is hungry he wil come and say me he is hungry. If he doesn't need something too he wil say no. If he wants to go to toilet too he will say us he wants to go to toilet. He needs help only in washing. Intially he likes to play with rotating objects. Like rotating a remote control something like that. But now he doesn't do that. He is of little shy type. But once he mingle with someone he will be very happy and will play with them. Intially he didn't have clarity in speech. But now he is good in that too. He just doesn't answer to few of our questions. If we show him picture and ask what he is doing he ll answer it lke crying,laughing,eating apple and all tat. He is able to identify fruits, Vegetables and whatever things we give him. He doesn't have any problem with his sleep. So I wanna know if it's a problem or if he is fine.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
# Hello
Welcome to icliniq
- I can see from your query that you had some minor concerns about your son's speech & language and social communication development
- You son appears to be doing lots of things expected at this age which is positive. You also report that he has improved in his speech clarity. The ongoing concern seems that he doesnt respond to some of your questions.
- Is he able to speak in sentences regularly ?

Follow these suggestions to
- Continue providing lots of stimulation to your son during everyday activities.
- Try Music and rhymes singing together
- Minimise screen time, avoid TV before bedtime and meals
- Read Social stories- read picture books together
- Support him to interact more with same age peers. Once the lockdown period is over and situation is safe, enrol him in a nursery/ KG class. Discuss with his teacher about he is managing in the class room

If you have any persistent concerns, Speech & Language Therapist input will be helpful.
You can contact us for any further advice as needed. Take care

| 

Kindly tell me the symptoms of frontotemporal dementia.

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has recently received a diagnosis of frontotemporal dementia. Here is a history of her: She had what we believed to be a nervous breakdown four years back. This was after a year of stress from a pending court case. After this breakdown, she displayed some psychotic symptoms....  Read Full »

Why is my 11 year old son losing weight all of a sudden from last year?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an 11 year old son who weighs 25 kg and is 138 cm tall. Everyone feels that something is wrong with him, as he is losing weight from the past three years, and it is severe for the last year. He is a slow eater and eats for 40 minutes to an hour, even small meal. We keep telling ...  Read Full »

Will I recover from vocal cord paralysis eventually?

Query: Hello doctor,I have had vocal paralysis over four months now from a fist fight from strikes to my throat. One doctor says it will take a year and another told me some people never recover. Will I eventually recover because I cannot speak well and it is making everything harder? Voice is raspy and br...  Read Full »