Q. Please explain my mother's MRI findings.

Dr. Sumit Chawla
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 17, 2020

My mother has been suffering from acute back pain and leg pain for the past one year. She is unable to stand or walk for a long time. She is 73 years old. Also, she has type 2 diabetes and high BP. Her MRI revealed a diffuse bulge of L4-L5 disc with ligamentum flavum hypertrophy causing severe canal stenosis with compression over transversing and existing nerve roots. What is the meaning of above? What treatment is necessary for her now?

#

The following is a radiological report (MRI) of her intervertebral disc status.

• The above statement means that the disc has herniated from its normal confined limits and is pressing on the nerves leading to pain in the area of distribution of nerves, which in this case is outer part and calf region of the leg.
  • What kind of pain she has? Is it electric current like sensation or the heavy and dull aching like condition?
  • Kindly mention the treatment she has taken till now for this condition as well as other medication which she is currently taking.
  • Whether she had any other investigation like vitamin D levels, alkaline phosphatase enzyme level, bone mineral density or x-ray? If yes, then follow up with their reports along with the treatment history, clinical examination notes and complete MRI report.

Revert back with the reports to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Sir, in reply of your opinian mri reports of my mother and medicine taken prescription is attached. Shugar and other lab test report attached. Medicines taken for daibitis and BP is attached. Pl requested to advice what treament should I prefere and what treament is necessary.
Thanking you.
# Hello
Thank you for attaching your prescription and MRI report.
As per my previous answer, findings of MRI report have already been explained.
You have attached the prescription of the orthopaedic surgeon but have not mentioned for long she has been taking this medicine?
How many times steroid and Vitamin D injection have been given?
What was her Vitamin D level and alkaline phosphatase enzyme levels before giving the injection (if tested)? If these test were not conducted then, have these tests been asked now?
You have not mentioned any symptoms till now. In my previous answer I had asked about
What kind of pain she has, is it electric current like sensation or the heavy dull aching like condition? Treatment can only be prescribed if the symptoms are known. I want to know what are her predominant symptoms whether its neurological or due to osteoporosis, treatment will be addressed accordingly.
Feel free to discuss further.
Regards

|