Q. Please clarify my MRI report.

Dr. Chandan Mohanty
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Around four weeks ago, I drove for three hours. I had pain in my abdomen that had spread to my spine. I had to crawl everywhere for one week as I could not walk. The pain has reduced, but still I am uncomfortable. I have been advised by my doctor not to work until I consult a specialist as it could be serious. I had back pain in the past, but never for this long period of time. My current medications are Ibuprofen and Paracetamol with Codeine. I hope you can help me with my MRI report. The comment at the end of my MRI lumbar spine says: Moderate central stenosis with indentation of anterior cord at T11-T12, possibly with an area of cord edema or myelomalacia. I have been referred to a neurosurgeon. Could you please clarify the results and my condition? Is there anything serious?

#

• There is also some swelling within the cord (cord edema) because of the compression.
  • You can wait till the neurosurgeon sees you and is able to examine you in detail.
  • Though unlikely, if you feel any weakness in the legs or develop any bladder or bowel incontinence, then you should consult your doctor immediately. 

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|