Q. My grandma is on bed rest. Her lower back is red and painful. Please help.

Dr. Arvind Guru
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My grandmother suffered a fall in the bathroom one month back. She is 91 now. Following the fall, she developed a vertebral compression fracture. She has been on bed rest for the last few weeks and now developed redness and pain in the lower back area. Kindly advice on treatment including special dressing and bed or mattress needed.

#

• After reviewing your attached picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is a grade 2 bed sore.
  • Prevent further damage by turning the side of the patient every two hours from side to side. This is to be done only after approval of spine specialist as she is suffering from a vertebral fracture.
  • The other measures include,
  1. Use of air mattress to distribute weight away from the bed sore region.
  2. Periodic bed tilting can be done 15 - 30 degrees from side to side or pillow support from side to side every 2 hours. It will relieve pressure from the bed sore site and help it to heal.
  • No particular dressing is required at this stage. Keep it clean and free of moisture and soiling. Cleaning, daily change of beddings and stoma powder or talcum powder can help.
  • The vertebral fracture management has priority over bed sore, so kindly discuss with your treating doctor.

For further information consult a general surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-surgeon

|