Q. Kindly suggest the recommended physical activities that I can perform after the spine fusion surgery.

Dr. Rahul Patil

It has been about a year since my fusion (T8, T9, T10). About three months after surgery, my fusion was healed (solid fusion). I went today just for a yearly X-ray. The doctor stated that everything still looks great. I feel like I can do everything I did before the injury. My doctor told me not to jog, no running, bending, playing basketball, etc. Not sure if he is just trying to scare me, so I follow his instructions properly. I have already been jogging, running, bending, jumping with no problems. I work in a job where I have to lift and move packages daily (not too heavy though). The X-ray report is attached. Please give me a second opinion.

Thanks.

#

You have undergone spinal fusion surgery. The surgery site has healed well from the attached photograph (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity).

1) You can do all your daily activities but avoid lifting weight. As the weight is transferred from above downwards through the spine, its axis goes through the vertebrae body (anteriorly and through the rods placed posteriorly). Rods are thin, and there are chances that they may break. Also, the screws may get displayed or come out.

2) Thoracic spine does not have much of the movement dynamics as the rib cage supports them, so you can do most of your daily activities and even play. But avoid lifting heavyweight.

|