Q. What is the reason for splenomegaly during pregnancy?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 17, 2019

My wife is suffering from pain around the uterus. She is 16 weeks pregnant. Her doctor suggested for a urine test and ultrasound scan. Urine infection was detected and using medicines for it. But, the ultrasound scan report came as splenomegaly and low lying placenta. This is our second baby. She had a normal delivery previously without any issues. Her health condition was perfect. Now, there are no health issues except uterus pain during this pregnancy. We really afraid after seeing her scan report. I have attached the report for your reference. What would be the next step? What are all the risk factors? What precautions should we need to take? What is the reason for splenomegaly? Please help.

#

• I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), which reveals a normal blood test with urine infection sensitive to Nitrofurantoin and two scans revealing a pregnancy with low lying or anterior placenta along with splenomegaly.
  • Urinary infection is common in pregnant state and she is on the right medicine. Ask her to drink plenty of water and evacuate her bladder frequently to prevent the development of this infection again.
  • Low lying placenta at this gestational age means nothing. This is the normal finding at this stage and so relax. In 90% cases the placenta will migrate up in normal position.
  • However, splenomegaly really needs a check up by a physician. You may do a rescan also to check whether the spleen was truly measured or not.
  • Splenomegaly could be caused by blood disorders or after repeated malaria or due to lots of other reasons. Just do a rescan of whole abdomen and if still there is an enlarged spleen; she needs a medical opinion to rule out the cause of it.
  • Primarily from my side, I suggest for a hemoglobin electrophoresis to rule out any blood disorders. The rest lies with the physician.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

We have again gone through the blood test. Everything was normal in that. Last night, went for scan again. This time the result came as mild splenomegaly. Please find the attached reports. One week course for urinary infection also completed. My wife is still suffering with pelvic pain. What is the cause of pain? What would be our next step? Please suggest.

#

• Really, there is a persistently enlarged spleen that needs an evaluation.
  • She need to be tested for hemoglobin electrophoresis as I have mentioned before and then consult a doctor with MD in medicine.
  • Otherwise, her reports are fine and within normal limits.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 
1 out of 1 likes