Q. My friend has sacroiliitis. Will it affect her family life and pregnancy?

Dr. Divya Agarwal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 21, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2020

A friend of mine, who is a 28 year old female, had been diagnosed with sacroiliitis before five years. She had been on painkillers (Indocap) for three years, which she was taking on a daily basis. Then for a year, her doctor advised her to have maintenance doses of Remicade infusions and she took six to seven infusions over a period of one year. After her last infusion, which she had before six months, she has been doing physical exercises and maintaining a strict diet and has not taken painkiller or infusion. Kindly suggest regarding her life after marriage, pregnancy, and others as she is planning to tie the knot soon.

Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatology
#

• This problem is called spondyloarthritis, and it is associated with a gene called HLA-B27.
  • It is a chronic disease where there may be periods of relapses and remission.
  • There maybe flare up of disease during pregnancy or post pregnancy. Otherwise, it generally does not cause any serious issue with the fetus.
  • So, it is a lifelong problem; however, it may be controlled with exercise and medication.

For further information consult a rheumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/rheumatologist

| 

Thank you for your valuable consultation. To be frank, I like that girl and want to marry her. Whatever she has told to me, I have mentioned in my query. She is sensitive towards discussing her medical condition with anybody. I am confused about how to proceed and what to do.

Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatology
#

• I think you need to be clear in your head because the problem can flare any time and you should be prepared for that since this is a life-long commitment.
  • Otherwise, this problem is controllable with medication.

|