Q. My friend has sacroiliitis. Will it affect her family life and pregnancy?

Dr. Divya Agarwal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 21, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2020

A friend of mine, who is a 28 year old female, had been diagnosed with sacroiliitis before five years. She had been on painkillers (Indocap) for three years, which she was taking on a daily basis. Then for a year, her doctor advised her to have maintenance doses of Remicade infusions and she took six to seven infusions over a period of one year. After her last infusion, which she had before six months, she has been doing physical exercises and maintaining a strict diet and has not taken painkiller or infusion. Kindly suggest regarding her life after marriage, pregnancy, and others as she is planning to tie the knot soon.

#

• This problem is called spondyloarthritis, and it is associated with a gene called HLA-B27.
  • It is a chronic disease where there may be periods of relapses and remission.
  • There maybe flare up of disease during pregnancy or post pregnancy. Otherwise, it generally does not cause any serious issue with the fetus.
  • So, it is a lifelong problem; however, it may be controlled with exercise and medication.

For further information consult a rheumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/rheumatologist

Thank you for your valuable consultation. To be frank, I like that girl and want to marry her. Whatever she has told to me, I have mentioned in my query. She is sensitive towards discussing her medical condition with anybody. I am confused about how to proceed and what to do.

#

• I think you need to be clear in your head because the problem can flare any time and you should be prepared for that since this is a life-long commitment.
  • Otherwise, this problem is controllable with medication.

|